Pumpkin Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debkid

Reaction score
I've seen recipes for pumpkin ales.. anyone have one for a pumpkin cider?? I was thinking making a basic apple cider.. adding a can of pumpkin and some spices???
I have a large can of pumpkin (29 oz).. just pumpkin.. no added anything.. If this is too much for a 3-5 gallon batch of cider.. I might split it and brew an ale at the same time.

As always any input is greatly appreciated..
Thanks,
Deb

Sounds tasty, don't see why it wouldn't be good.

I have a recipe for pumpkin wine that calls for 6 pounds of pumpkin meat. Remove seeds and stringy material, then mash or grind into a nylon straining bag. Keep all pulp in the straining bag and squeeze juice out into the primary. That's for a 3 gallon batch.

I've never made it, don't know how it turns out.

Started my Drunken Punkin Cider last night.. Recipe as follows...

approx 1 gallon water
1 lb dark brown sugar
3 cinnamon sticks (4-5 inches)
8 cloves
1Tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 29 oz can Libby's all natural pumpkin

boiled all this for 10 minutes,
added

15 11.5 containers frozen apple juice concentrate (Langers)

Added to primary fermenter and added cold water to 5 gallon mark -
cooled to 78 degrees and pitched Safale-58

OG 1.068
(tastes great just like it is)

approximately 8 hours later have nice airlock activity

debkid,
Any update on the pumpkin cider?
I made a pumpkin ale this past fall and I couldn't taste the pumpkin until after xmas. It was a cinnamon/clove ale for quite a while. I used pumpkin from my garden so that might have something to do with it as well.

Any update on the pumpkin cider?
I've debated trying something like this but was afraid that the pumpkin tase would not be sensed due to the apples.

Got back from vacation on 1/22 - racked cider to secondary.. it smelled AWFUL!!.. but I got brave held my nose and tasted.. It taste wasn't too bad... Rereacked today and the smell is MUCH BETTER.. The pumpkin smell is coming through more.. I'm not sure if I should have added more spices or not.. I'm not sure if they weaken or intensify when the cider ages a bit. right now the taste is a bit harsh and boozy. I may try to sweeten it back a bit when I get ready to bottle..

debkid said:
I'm not sure if I should have added more spices or not.. I'm not sure if they weaken or intensify when the cider ages a bit. right now the taste is a bit harsh and boozy.
'The harsh boozy' tones will mellow, the spices will cut through afterwards and then mature also - then you'll know which ones to have added more or less for personal taste.

Any update on this? I made a pumpkin soda and it was a hit! So I am curious about how the cider went.

Kevin

I've got a pumpkin mead going right now...man i cant wait!

If any one does this you really should use fresh pumpkin instead of nasty canned stuff.

Hey KevinJ,
Would you mind sharing your Pumpkin Soda Recipe with us under the Soda Making Section? Don't want to Hijack the thread.

Back