Which do you prefer and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I get back to the states, I plan on buying "better bottles" to ferment in.
My question is, which product do you think is better to use to plug the top, and why?

The standard cork
The carboy cap
A carboy bung
or another method?

Thanks
Josh

For primary fermentation I just wrap tin foil over the top so that there's no pressure on the yeast. When fermentation stops I use a rubber stopper with an airlock.

11369-blue-moon-clone-fermenting.gif

The cap on here. Why?

It fits a 5 gallon glass carboy, a 6 gallon Better Bottle and a 5 gallon Better Bottle, all of which I use.

Carboy Caps for me. They go on direct from the starsan bucket, snap on and stay tight. Stoppers will not do it.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

Caps for me, they fit all my carboys, are really easy to use, won't fall into my carboy if I push too hard, make it a lot easier to start a siphon, and nice'n easy to put on a blow-off tube. Worth the extra expense, IMHO.

I'll use the caps when I can, but my caps won't fit the 6.5 gallon glass carboys. Not even the smaller ones. So for those I use the universal stoppers, because they work even when wet.

I have mostly drilled stoppers, one universal stopper and one cap. I typically use the universal first except in my conical, then I use a drilled. I don't use the cap at all. The universal works nice because they don't come out when the're wet like the drilled ones do.

Yuri_Rage said:
I usually just use a drilled stopper with an airlock. Works just fine for me!

Yep that covers it but I always use 7 gallon containers as a primary for my 5 gallon batches.

Back