S G in a gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZhornedtoad

Reaction score
So cheap bastard that I am, I am unwilling to waste the amount of mead in a gallon batch that it takes to check SG a few times. I got one of the tiny (4") hydrometes but it doesn't really have the specific figures esp at 3 lb/gallon batches. Any suggestions, mead mates?

So cheap bastard that I am, I am unwilling to waste the amount of mead in a gallon batch that it takes to check SG a few times. I got one of the tiny (4") hydrometes but it doesn't really have the specific figures esp at 3 lb/gallon batches. Any suggestions, mead mates?

Eh, well I guess an option would be to pick up a regular hydrometer and test tube, sanitize everything thoroughly, and return the test sample to the jug. I would not do this regularly but rather at distant intervals. You run a risk of contamination doing this, but that's about the only way to check the gravity without taking out a notable percentage of your mead.

Best wishes,
Ed

I do, but I think you get a more precise reading with the tube. Regardless, sanitize lots.

Ye I just stick it in the Demi John but unfortunately the point in the neck where you want it to be topped up to is also the pont where the glass is all distorted and curving. not so accurate readings.

Eh, well I guess an option would be to pick up a regular hydrometer and test tube, sanitize everything thoroughly, and return the test sample to the jug. I would not do this regularly but rather at distant intervals. You run a risk of contamination doing this, but that's about the only way to check the gravity without taking out a notable percentage of your mead.

Best wishes,
Ed
Whereas I make mostly 1 gallon batches, and just sanitise well and always return the sample to the batch.

Not had any problems doing that in 8 years......

Your meads, so up to you.....

fb, how many times between pitching yeast and bottling do you check the sg? I would imagine that with proper cleanliness and sanitation there shouldn't be many problems returning test samples to the jug, but it seems it would be prudent to keep the number of visits to a minimum. ?

I'd like to tinker with more gallon jugs but in my initial reading about mead making I was lead to believe that returning test samples to the jug was something you didn't want to do. I'm beginning to wonder about that "understanding".

Ed

FYI, today was Mead Making Day, mates. I started a standard Old Joes, a traditional with Trader Joes Mesquite and K1-V1116, and a local varietal acacia traditional also with K1-V1116. My baby hydrometer sez: > 1.080 for all three. Guess that'll have to be close enough for OG for me! Thanks for all the help, mead mates!

Back