Has my beer fermented?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I brewed a basic American Ale. My OG was 1050. I just took a gravity reading and it's @ 1019. It didn't bubble much when it fermented. It's been fermenting for 13 days. Is it done or should I wait longer?

The following is a screen shot out of BeerSmith. I didn't put it in a secondary and don't plan to. Thanks for the help!

american+ale+-+beersmith+-+gravity.JPG

Take another reading in 2 days and if it's the same reading it's done fermenting, that is the routine to determine complete fermentation and should be done for each and every beer you brew.

Thanks. This is actually my 4th brew... my second all grain but the first time I've actually paid attention to the gravity. My others I just let ferment for 3 weeks with the assumption that they were done.

What type/how much yeast did you use? Did you aerate the wort at all? 1.019 is really high for FG on an American Ale. You can always try rocking the fermenter to rouse the yeast.

I used one packet of dry yeast. I forgot to document the actual type. Since this was going to be my lawnmower beer I opted to go with the cheaper yeast. I went on the recommendation of the local HBS since my recipe didn't specify. So to answer your question, I'm not sure what type of yeast I used.

What was your mash temp? In the future if you want a dryer beer try mashing around 150. With my gear most beers are done between 149-154 depending on the style.

1.019 isn't too far off. It will seem "full" but should still be very good.

Agreed with that very high mash temp you made a lot of dextrins and unfermentable sugars. It'll be a full bodied beer for sure. That said, I'd leave it for a week, warm it up a bit, and rouse the yeast to see if you can't wring another point or two out of it. A lawnmower beer should attenuate down for a nice dryness- definitely mash cooler in the future.

Latest posts

Back