Cider Delima/Options pairing yeast with juice/fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Ingredients:

1 package of each of the following yeasts:
Red Star Cote des Blancs, Lalvin EC1118, Coopers, & Safale S-04

3 Gallons of Apple juice/cider
1 qt natural peach nectar (water, peach puree, and sugar)
1/2 lb raisins
1 can apple juice concentrate
splenda
brown sugar
molasses
apples (red delicious, cameo, & granny smith)
oranges
frozen blueberries

The plan (which I need help with):
Make 3 - 1 gallon batches

Batch 1 I'm gonna just use juice, yeast, and maybe a small bit of splenda.

Batch 2 (Here's where it gets intresting)
1 gal apple juice (less room for peach nectar)
1 qt peach nectar
1/2 can concentrate
various apples minced
1 pint frozen fresh blueberries (puree/smashed!!!)

Batch 3
1 gal apple juice
1/2 can concentrate
1/2-3/4 cup of raisins smashed
3 tblspoons molasses
1 orange cut/peeled/diced with pith removed
splenda to taste

Now it's question/suggestion time...
I've read quite a bit about yeast strains and cider. I was thinking I would use Lavlin 1118 with batches 1&3 (have read very good stuff about this yeast for cider). Suggestions on which yeast to use where, especially batch 2, I'm thinking of using the Cote des Blancs or the coopers for batch 2?

I'm wanting to retain as much fruit flavor as possible, would the inclussion of emullsified/minced apples help with this?

Once the fermentation is complete, if I chill the yeast to shock it and get it to clarify, does this "kill ALL the yeast"? (the reason I ask is I will want to bottle some still and some carbed)

Last question... anyone got a good idea of what to do with a couple of gallons of blueberries in the freezer?

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated...

Well batches 1 & 3 are started as stated above, only difference is the use of Cote des Blancs yeast. Everything's bubblin away :ban: so now the waiting game begins. At times like these I'm reminded of that great line from Star Wars... "Stay on target stay on target". Btw I'm fermenting in the 65 degree range.

PM

"Here's a $20, bury two", these words were spoken by coach Paul Bryant of the Univ. of Alabama. Reporters were passing the hat asking for $10 donations to help with the burial of a fellow reporter.

Try Lalvin 71B-1122 (Narbonne) on number 2. It should give about the 14% ABV range and will enhance the blueberry nose of the wine. This strain is popular in a Riesling.

This is a 5 gallon batch of Blueberry Wine

Blueberry 13 lbs.
11 lbs. Sugar
1 tbsp. Yeast Energizer
3/4 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
2 tbsp. Acid Blend
1 pack Lalvin 71B-1122 Yeast

Just follow standard wine making procedures as you would with your other blueberry mix.

The cold will not kill yeast! It will only make it dorment then it could restart if it gets warm. Use a stablizer on what you want still and prime the carbed stuff.

Back