Should i be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybjr

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch Sunday. Everything went well until i went to test the temperature of the chilled wort and dropped my digital thermometer into the wort. I quickly poured the wort into the primary bucket through a strainer, retrieving the thermometer. Should I be worried about contamination?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Chances are that once the yeast gets going the alcohol production will kill off anything that might be in there. But, you will just have to wait it out and see and give it a taste when it's done fermenting.

Yeah, wait three weeks bottle it and send it to me for testing.

you can worry if you want but it's not gonna make a lick of difference to the final outcome. either it got contaminated or it didn't or it did but not so much that the yeast is going to have a problem overwhelming any unwanted visitors. worst case scenerio is it turns out nasty but you won't know that until it's done. RDWHAHB (or since this is your first batch, a commercial brew, but something good to take your mind of your troubles)

It will be fine, and if it you don't like it you get to brew it again.

tommybjr said:
Will do, what's your address. Oh, wait, I'm kegging it. Nevermind.

Well- if you send the keg I'll return it when I'm done.

Back