Caribou Slobber FG???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Will be brewing my Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber extract kit tomorrow. The instructions tell me my OG should be 1.052 but I couldn't find any info. on what FG I should be shooting for. I plan to let this one sit in primary for 4 weeks, so I'm sure it will get there, but wanted to see from those who have brewed this kit what FG's you all were getting. I'll be using Wyeast 1332 from a 1.5 liter starter.

THANKS!!

My OG was right on at 1.052 and my FG was finished at 1.020 (dry yeast) after three weeks in the primary. It is tasty, enjoy!

With an OG of 1.052 I didn't use a starter, just the smack pack. My final gravity got down to 1.014 after 2 weeks.

It is quite good, I believe I'm down to the final couple of pints from my keg.

Cheers

Is this a clone of big sky moose drool?

As others have said, that is what it's supposed to be. It's a great brew.

Will be brewing my Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber extract kit tomorrow. The instructions tell me my OG should be 1.052 but I couldn't find any info. on what FG I should be shooting for. I plan to let this one sit in primary for 4 weeks, so I'm sure it will get there, but wanted to see from those who have brewed this kit what FG's you all were getting. I'll be using Wyeast 1332 from a 1.5 liter starter.

THANKS!!

I want to say mine finished around 1.014-1.016. It was my second brew and turned out great. I had a few that I just drank last week after being in bottles for almost 3 months and they just get better (as all beers seem to do).

Thanks all!!! My OG was 1.051. I ended up slightly over 5 gallons after my boil. Been fermenting away since yesterday afternoon at 68 degrees. Going to primary for 4 weeks and give this one at LEAST 4 weeks in the bottle. I have 54 bottles of a Fat Tire clone bottle conditioning now, so I hope I can make it.

OG was 1052, honestly didn't check the FG... but it turned out pretty solid, just a little too bitter.

Anyone else having issues with NB kits being too bitter? For my IPAs I don't mind but my NB Fat Tire and Caribou were just a tad too bitter. I do 3 Gallon boils.

DoctaC said:
OG was 1052, honestly didn't check the FG... but it turned out pretty solid, just a little too bitter.

Anyone else having issues with NB kits being too bitter? For my IPAs I don't mind but my NB Fat Tire and Caribou were just a tad too bitter. I do 3 Gallon boils.

I almost felt this one was almost too sweet. I think maybe another half oz of bittering hops would have helped.

My last batch was from NB and was a basic extract american wheat. This has been my only NB kit so far. I ordered it because of the great reviews it got and its simplicity. Not sure if it's due to the lack of ingredients in this kit (no steeping grains, just liquid extract and some hops), or the fact that my fermentation temps got a little high (above 70), but even after 3 weeks in the keg, it's got a different taste to it that I'm not particularly enjoying. Not sure if it's a bitter taste or what people refer to as an off-flavor. Again, this could be due to the high fermentation temps, but this was my first kegged beer and my first time using my kegerator, so I was hoping for something better. If I learned anything from this brew, it's don't underestimate the importance of controlling your fermentation temperature. Since then, I've brewed BM's centennial and that's sitting in the primary right now in a bucket full of cold water (64-67 degrees F). I really hope my controlling temps make a difference this time.

Mine finished out at 1.012 after 4 weeks. I didn't take any hydro readings until 4 weeks, but it seemed to ferment pretty slow. I just bottled mine up this past Sunday.

I have caribou slobber in the keg right now and am currently enjoying a glass. My FG was 1.015. It is quite delivcious. Enjoy!

im on my first brew now, caribou slobber and i have the 5 gal carboy to transfer too but im reading alot of forums that say just let it hang out in the primary for the full term, but then i have people telling me i should transfer....for this beer what did people do with good results?

im on my first brew now, caribou slobber and i have the 5 gal carboy to transfer too but im reading alot of forums that say just let it hang out in the primary for the full term, but then i have people telling me i should transfer....for this beer what did people do with good results?

I found that caribou slobber gets better with time. After being in the keg for a couple weeks it made me want to brew more. For this reason I would suggest to secondary for a couple weeks. I am a fan of a secondary and have done it with almost all my brews so far. It really is a matter of preference. Either way, it is a delicious beer and you will enjoy it!:mug:

just kegged after 2 weeks in primary...gonna secondary in the keg for another 2 weeks or so, then slow carb and enjoy!
OG: 1052...FG: 1010!! (used wyeast smack pack and had violent active fermentation!!!)...abv: 5.5%!!! Super psyched with the numbers...the original is 5.3%
Color was beautiful and taste (un carbonated) was sooo good!

Drinking Caribou Slobber today. Brewed 4-23, 1.054 OG, Danstar Windsor dry yeast. 5-4-12 FG 1.013, bottled. First taste 6-15-12, a bit flat, somewhat bitter. Every taste since then better, and better. Today, good flavor, no bitterness, could use more head, and lacing, I'm not complaining!

I brewed a batch on 8/4 hitting my OG on the money, checked it last Sunday and it was only down to 1.020, so I shook the primary back up to try to rouse some yeast back into suspension. This batch had a warm start for the first 24hrs(71-72 F) so that may have been part of it, guess we'll see if it does any better in another week or so.

Just bottled a batch of Slobber today. 2-1/2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary. First time I've used Irish Moss - really nice and clear! Tastes great and my FG was 1009... this is going to be a good one!

I brewed this over a week ago, check the reading Sunday and it was 1.020 down from 1.052. Will let it sit for at least another week or two.. was about 80 when i pitched the yeast :( yeah i know, forgot to check temp!! DOH!!

but the sample i had was pretty good :) starsan everywhere!! and everything!!

My OG was right on at 1.052 and my FG was finished at 1.020 (dry yeast) after three weeks in the primary. It is tasty, enjoy!

I just kegged my Slobber and I had an SG of 1.055 but a FG of 1.021. The Windsor yeast obviously wasn't the best choice and I've read many posts about it's attenuation problems at times.
But, it tasted great in the test jar. It'll only be about 4.6%ABV but I'm thinking the real deal is likely 5.5%. I don't chase ABV and just hope the flavor is good.
I plan to leave it in the keg for 3 weeks before putting it in the kegerator.

OG - 1.052
FG - 1.020

2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary with Windsor yeast.

It tastes great, but a bit too sweet. Next time I'm thinking of doing a big starter and adding a pound or 2 of corn sugar to dry it out more.

I never posted back but this was still very good. It didn't last long. It actually conditioned in the keg for 4 weeks before going into the kegerator. A week later, we started drinking it. After another week, it hit peak awesomeness. Then it magically disappeared.

I just bottled a BIAB based on NB's AG recipe over the weekend. Had an OG of 1.052 with a FG of 1.018. Used Wyeast 1332 with no starter. My hydro sample tasted awesome! Can't wait for this one to finish conditioning!

Been reading posts on Caribou slobber, I brewed this a few weeks ago and let sit in primary for 2 weeks. I racked to secondary last night 11-27. I would like to have ready by Christmas. Recipe kit say 1-2 weeks in secondary. Then 2 weeks in bottles and I will be ready to crack open at Christmas. But the more I read the more I see people letting sit in secondary for up to 4 weeks. Do I need to wait this long or can I bottle after 2 weeks in secondary? And what is happening in there for 4 weeks! That could make it better???

I just brewed this kit yesterday evening. It was a lot of fun (though the NB autosiphon tube is way too short! very frustrating trying to siphon from my kettle in the sink to a fermenter on the floor).

However, I have a measured OG of 1.058. Can anyone tell me why this might have happened? I did a 2.5 gallon boil and added nearly all of that to the fermenter except for a the hop dregs at the bottom of the pot. I topped the fermenter off with bottled water to the 5 gallon mark on the fermenter, and then took the reading. The temperature at the time of reading was between 69-71. I'm not too bothered as it isn't hugely off, but from what I can tell most other people seem to have an OG of 52-54. I also stirred pretty thouroughly before taking the measurement.

cheers!

I have been wanting to make this beer but not sure if I will like it. What can it be compared to other than Moose Drool wich I have never seen in NY.

Using the NB Caribou Slobber as my first brew. I used the Wyeast Smack Pack. My OG was at 1.052, which seems to be spot on. My concern is after 6 days my fermentation seemed to be over with. It did have a fairly violent fermentation and was temp controlled @ 68. The instructions say 1-2 weeks so I went ahead and racked to my secondary, and got a 1.013 reading. Like I said earlier this is my first brew, and doing it without anyone helping advise me. So I guess my question is for you guys who are seasoned. Is this me being over anixious and jumping the gun or is everything on track. I do plan to let it sit in secondary for 2 weeks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

First brew? I would skip secondary. Too much risk for infection or other issues. I would leave it in primary for another two weeks or just bottle.

Using the NB Caribou Slobber as my first brew. I used the Wyeast Smack Pack. My OG was at 1.052, which seems to be spot on. My concern is after 6 days my fermentation seemed to be over with. It did have a fairly violent fermentation and was temp controlled @ 68. The instructions say 1-2 weeks so I went ahead and racked to my secondary, and got a 1.013 reading. Like I said earlier this is my first brew, and doing it without anyone helping advise me. So I guess my question is for you guys who are seasoned. Is this me being over anixious and jumping the gun or is everything on track. I do plan to let it sit in secondary for 2 weeks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I think you'll be ok. I don't usually rack to a secondary vessel but if you do, the general rule of thumb to make sure it's done fermenting is to take multiple fg readings. Take your first reading and then do it again the next day and if it's the same, it's ready to rack to your secondary vessel.

i have brewed this 3 times..and all 3 i could not get it below 1.018..i enjoy this brew and have added to the recipe since but it does finish high imo

Took that second reading tonight, still holding at 1.013. Racked into secondary and tasted the sample I took. It had a quite bitter finish. I'm thinking I'll go and pick up some Moose Drool for some comparison.

I brewed this beer once so far and I thought it was quite tasty. I've never had Moose Drool as we can't get it here in Ohio, but I thought it was one of the better brown ales I've ever had.

I'm brewing this one right now. Interestingly enough, I spoke with someone who works at Northern Brewer who was adamant on keeping this one in the primary for 10 days or so, and then bottling and letting it condition in the bottle for an extra week or so (so maybe 3-4 weeks in bottle). He said this beer tends to finish fermenting quickly, and it would essentially condition the same way in the bottle as it would if it stayed in the fermenter. He seems to know this beer inside and out... But to me 10 days seemed early to bottle...

I will say however that my Caribou Slobber seemed to have finished fermenting in about 4 days... OG was 1.051. But I haven't checked the FG yet. I used the Wyeast 1332 smack pack, and it fermented around 66-68 degrees.

Back