Merlot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stelmica

Reaction score
What do they have in a wine kit, that I can't get on my own at my local wine supply store?
To make a Merlot or something close.
merlot recipes...

I'm not sure I follow. You want to know what they have in a wine kit that they don't have at your local wine supply store? It's hard to speculate not knowing your local store, but most wine kits are just juice, stabilizers, and sometimes lees. You could certainly get all of the stabilization stuff separately, but most wine supply stores don't sell bulk juice.

The word "Merlot" refers to a type of grape. Go to your local wine store and buy a Merlot kit with Merlot juice. I almost guarantee they will have one. If they don't, it is because it is a popular kit.

The juice in kits has had acids set to a standard to get right taste as well as setting brix to correct levels. The juice has been sterilized so there is no worries about infections or wild yeast. It is a little more than "just juice". You can do all this your self but it won't come from local beer and wine store

I guess what I asking is what makes a merlot a merlot, a pint noir a pint noir. Etc..
Is it just the grapes or is it woodchip or additive that make it have it's flavor.

What do they have in a wine kit, that I can't get on my own at my local wine supply store?
To make a Merlot or something close.
merlot recipes...

Most wine kits have a bag that is a combination of juice and concentrate that is pre-balanced for acid and ph and such. Along with sulfites and clearing agents, they will also contain a yeast and usually a type of oak that's considered right for the wine you're making.

The main thing is you can get concentrate, usually a pretty generic one, but you can't get the juice/concentrate combo anywhere else.

I guess what I asking is what makes a merlot a merlot, a pint noir a pint noir. Etc..
Is it just the grapes or is it woodchip or additive that make it have it's flavor.

It's the type of grape. The wine kit provides you with the juice, properly prepared. If you buy a merlot kit, you'll be getting merlot juice that will turn into merlot wine.

Thanks everyone...sorry for the dum questions, I'm new to this and want to get all the fact before I get started..
I know I'll have to get my hand dirty and learn from my mistakes, but I want to try and avoid them from the start.

Thanks again,
Mike from Louisiana

Back