Converting a bmc drinker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
My best friend is a diehard budweiser drinker. But i think I am slowly converting him. He faithfully samples everything i brew and usually responds yuuuuuk why cant u brew something delicious like this(as he holds up a bud can). Well since i found HBT and a word called patience his responce has changed. I am now drinking my 3rd beer since learning patience. all of which the bmc drinker has changed his responce from yuuuuuk to thats not bad a little bitter for my taste. So long story short with patience all can be converted.

Im a stout fan so i usually brew 3-4 stouts to 1 of anything else and i have a friend who loves miller he calls my stouts motor oil so ive brewed some other styles to see if there are some that may peek his interist. i took a porter and a ipa to my brothers house he was already hammered on keystone we shared those two bottles he called me the next day and told me my beer had to much flavor and made him sick. its odd to us to hear people talk like that but people assume it cannot be right you did it in your basement.

Well he had a rauch last night. He said it was very good. he did not like the smokiness though. and asked if i could make a beer like that w/o the smoke. Him asking me to make anything other than a budweisser clone is amazing

Awesome. I'd assume starting with a few pilsner lagers and maybe even wheat beers would be the way to get BMC drinkers converted.

I have noticed my friends that throw down BMC seem to lean towards liking pilsners, which makes sense. Some they liked were Paulaner Premium Pils and SA Noble Pils, they also liked a less bitter pale ale.. Unless they are really open minded I doubt a stout or strong porter is the way to

The best way to convert a BMC(G) drinker is to get them to start learning about brewing and possibly start brewing their own.

My best friend is a diehard budweiser drinker.

And you're still friends with him? :D jk jk

I was there one day...someone asked me what my favorite "real" beer was about 7 years ago. I told them Budweiser...and I thought it was "real" because it wasn't light. I have long since converted...especially after moving to NC...great craft brew scene here.

Now, just trying to convert my wife from BMC...we've dropped the B and C, but still struggling getting rid of the M!

Good luck fully converting!

I never got into beer until I started brewing. Never liked the offerings of brewpubs or the craft beer selections I sampled.

I still find a lot of micros to be disgusting. I had a few really awesome beers and that got me hooked. If you were my friend you would have had to make me a well balanced IPA (maybe on the lower IBU side; high on the flavor / aroma hops excluding cascade. The cut grass flavor has always been the reason I disliked craft beer. Or something completely new like a chocolate milk stout - I had only had Guinness and thought that all stouts were similar. My brother in law is a die-hard cheap BMC drinker and he loves cracking open my chocolate stouts.

I found out they are the one hop that I cant stand and most craft brews that I had tried were bitter and saturated with cascade hops. Once I found Chinooks and Simcoes and the other hops; I found a love for beer.

i've gotten to the point where i will vehemently argue the low value of BMC and how it is a bad beer citing history and making analogies to fine restaurants serving an extensive wine list but when you ask for beer they offer urine (etc), but i dont try to convert anymore.

I simply say every beer has its place. I personally will not throw a single cent at anything owned by InBev, buts thats my prerogative. The time and effort put into the beer is what matters most, not how well a company advertises their product as being cold...

People assume that MBC dirnkers will only like light styles like Kolsch, Cream Ale, Blonde, etc. But many of them start out being fond of Stouts, IPA's, etc. The flavor is just so far different that to them it's not like drinking beer at all, but something completely new.

And others won't like it even before they taste it if they think you made it at home, or if it's darker than a stick of butter... Their eyes have already told them it will taste bad before their tongue has got a good look at it.

To each their own. No one finds taste buds they find you. I let my brother in law taste different craft brews I pick up. Not that Im trying to convert him from his B and BLs but to see if he likes it or not. Suprisingly, he is liking more than he used to.

I picked up a case of SNPA and he threw a bunch back without any objection. However, if I get stuff that is too hoppy or strong he still makes the bitter beer face. His father used to brew and he seems very interested in making a batch with me. It's cool that hes interested and likes to sample other beers seems how hes one of my most frequent drinking buds.

Yep, patience is the key.

The first time I gave SWMBO a SNPA, she cringed and immediately handed the bottle back as I chuckled a bit. Later, she did the same thing as she tried Black Butte Porter. Now, she regularly enjoys the lower IBU IPAs and pales, and I think Black Butte Porter may be her favorite beer :)

Latest posts

Back