8B Special/Best/Prem Bitter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZooKeeper

Reaction score
This is my first shot at a recipe. Still weighing if I should use US-05 or US-04. Any constructive feedback or thoughts are appreciated.

Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 85.47 %
0.25 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 4.27 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.55 %
0.10 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.71 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.9 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
5.00 gal Water
1 Pkgs US-05 (Safale) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.29 %
Bitterness: 27.6 IBU
Calories: 205 cal/pint
Est Color: 12.3 SRM
Bitterness Ratio: 0.593 IBU/SG

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar
Volumes of CO2: 2.1

If you're shooting for a beer with English yeast character, I'd use the S-04. If you want something clean with little esthers, use the 05.

I'd use the S-04 for a bitter rather than S-05. Bitter in a British style, and gets a lot of it's character from the yeast. I wouldn't even consider using S-05 in a bitter, and I wouldn't consider using S-04 in an APA.
Last week, I brewed a strong bitter, (style 8C rather than 8B). It was AG rather than extract, and had a slightly higher OG. (1.050 vs 1.046). The specialty malts I used were effectively the same as yours i.e. 1/2 lb Crystal and 2 oz Chocolate Malt.
I think the extract and grains look fine.
I would use all light extract, rather than a mixture of light and amber, but I think this would make very little difference. If you have amber that you need to use up, then use it. If you have to buy the extract, I would just get the light.
I think the hops could do with a slight adjustment.
Your OG is towards the high side for the style, but your IBU's are at the low end of the range. I would replace the 30 minute addition of EKG with a 10 - 15 minute addition, and adjust the early hop additions for an IBU of 30 - 35.

All in all, I think that looks really good for a first shot at a recipe.

-a.

I will go with the S-04. You are right in that removing the Amber doesn't change it that much. I increased my early hops to 1 oz & moved the late hops to 10 min changing the total to 31.6 IBU.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Latest posts

Back