Beer pours at restaurants (BW3's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cincy_Ron

Reaction score
Guys, I'd like your opinion on something. I've been a long time customer of the BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings) restaurant chain for well over 15 years starting back in college. I usually go at least a couple of times a month with friends for happy hour, and just about every Sunday during football season.

A friend and I stopped in a couple of nights ago for their happy hour deal they advertise - 23 oz. beer for $3.25, in this case I believe it was Miller Light. Anyway, I noticed that what was always a very nice pour (close to the rim) - was quite a bit short. Somewhere around the 19 oz. mark by my estimates (picture attached). I asked the bartender about it, who is a great guy that I don't know personally but know from being a regular, and he told me that it had come down from Corporate that was the way they were supposed to pour them now. There were even a couple of glasses sitting up on the back bar that he showed me with red tape around the rim showing how much beer should be in the glass.

It kind of torqued me off to be honest, and I fired off a note to them via their web site. Here's a portion of it along with picture of what I'm talking about.

Hey guys, I've been a LONG time fan of BW3's from Columbus while attending college, to Dayton, and now living in Cincinnati. I stopped in for happy hour a couple of nights ago with some friends and we noticed that our usual 23 oz. happy hour beers were poured quite a bit short. We noticed it wasn't just us, it was for everyone. We even noticed some of the servers using straws to whip up the beers to create a "head" on the beers they were bringing to the tables they were serving.

We asked the bartender about it and he said that it had come down from Corporate to only pour the beers to around the 19 oz. mark and he drug out a couple of glasses with red tape around them showing where to stop the pour.

I just looked at your stock price and clearly this recession isn't hurting your business so all I can attribute this to is flat out greed. Nothing like advertising one thing (23 oz beer), selling another (4 ounces short), and ripping your customers off. And that's what it is, a rip off, when many people are struggling with this economy. Nice job.

photo.jpg

Well that just plain sucks.

I eat there every 3 or 4 weeks and have not noticed the same. Granted, I don't often drink beer there; they don't have anything I'm willing to pay $4.75 a glass for. (I guess I should hit happy hour when I go.) I'll watch next time.

Next time take a beaker with you that has oz marking up to at least 23oz. Order at the bar. Pour your glass into the beaker and tell the bartender "I ordered the 23oz beer off the menu for $X.XX. Not this 19oz. Please give me my other 4 oz or take off 17.4% of the price since you took that off my beer". If he can't do anything talk to the manager and mention False advertising. They Advertise 23oz for X price, they have to give you 23oz for X price.
It's bit extreme for a beer, but it's the principle.

But you'd also be the guy at the bar whipping out a beaker :D

ahhhh...thats why I love Germany, every glass that you get any kind of liquid in, coffee, soda, beer, has a line on it, and by LAW they must fill it to that line.

If instead of raising their prices on 23oz glasses, I also wonder if they have the same policy on 16 oz pints. If they're keeping 16 oz, 16 oz...then you've got more of a case against them (IE they're not making adjustments for all their menu items, but just the big ticket items during happy hour). As for the letter itself, I wouldn't use any names and I wouldn't personally attack. I'd just make a grievance that you're paying for a 23oz glass, so you expect 23 oz. If they have a policy now of only serving 19 oz, then they need to either advertize 19 oz or go ahead and adjust their price for 23 oz. That if instead they try to keep the same price, but short change, then they're losing customers such as yourself.

I see nothing wrong with that pour, if it had head on it it would be perfect. Are you going to boycott a place over 4 oz of bmc?

If instead of raising their prices on 23oz glasses, I also wonder if they have the same policy on 16 oz pints. If they're keeping 16 oz, 16 oz...then you've got more of a case against them (IE they're not making adjustments for all their menu items, but just the big ticket items during happy hour). As for the letter itself, I wouldn't use any names and I wouldn't personally attack. I'd just make a grievance that you're paying for a 23oz glass, so you expect 23 oz. If they have a policy now of only serving 19 oz, then they need to either advertize 19 oz or go ahead and adjust their price for 23 oz. That if instead they try to keep the same price, but short change, then they're losing customers such as yourself.

Dave, apparently it's on both. Here's a lousy cell phone shot of the "training" glasses...

pour.jpg

I see nothing wrong with that pour, if it had head on it it would be perfect. Are you going to boycott a place over 4 oz of bmc?

I wouldn't say I'm going to boycott them but I'll find somewhere else to go for happy hour. And my opinion is that pour sucks. When the servers were busy and the beer sat at the bar until they could get to it they were taking straws and whipping the beer up to make it look full before they brought it to the table.

This is why the UK has a line on their weights and measures approved glasses. Your pint must reach this level to enjoy this ride.....Or the pub will get fined......... Beer is too precious to pay for just the head.....Even Miller Lite!

I just checked my home email and here's the reply I received from a regional manager. It's all about the customer experience. Rant off...

Mr. R,

It is completely unfortunate that the bartender at the location you visited was unable to give you an adequate explanation as to why we serve our beer the way we do. I also apologize that you feel we are "ripping" off the guest because our procedure for pouring beer is strictly contrary to this reasoning. We strive to pour the perfect beer and if you talk to anyone in the industry the "perfect beer" has an inch of head on top. The reason for this is to release the flavor and to release the carbonation that is used to push the beer through the tap. This carbonation, if not released, will cause the guest to feel bloated and the flavor will not be as crisp.

If the bartender had offered this explanation I hope it would have been more satisfactory. Our goal is to pour the perfect beer and this beer will, if poured correctly, almost always contain 3/4" to 1" head of foam. We used the tape on glasses to provide training to our bartenders so that they can serve the best possible product to our guests.

I hope you and your friends will continue to visit the Kenwood location because I assure you we are striving to give the guest the best possible product at the best possible value.

Take your local Department of Weights and Measurements guy out for a beer. He can stop it real quick. He will ask the manager if they have this policy in place, and then when answered with an affirmative (not really necessary since he can measure what was served to him and see he was cheated) can/will then fine them with state penalties (or at the very least show them it is illegal and what the fines will be next time). 9/10 times "corporate" means my General Manager. He wants to cut those cost more than the damn company does. Bigger bonuses for him from the bar sales. I's bet they don't do full pours on liquor as well. That will get you into major state trouble here, it is the same as serving more. It's hard to find someone from that department (best friend's Dad is one so I'm an exception) to take out for a beer, so that was a joke. Buuut if you call and ask them specifically what was happening and if it is legal... I'd bet they get a little visit to make sure they aren't cheating elsewhere. I mean, they are choosing to go down this path as a corporation... why would they stop at short tap-beer pours???

I'm just sayin', you know, if you want to do it all legal-like. If it is corporate, I bet it is because new bartenders can't pour, and the less in the glass the less waste from overflowing head. They pour directly into frosted glasses and it blows everywhere, for petesake. Or, from spillage to table from waitstaff. I've seen them have to take the beer back and put more in. On a busy night, that locks everybody up, and the customer is pissed. Now, waitress gets screwed regardless. Bet it is that simple. It can get stopped though. Don't tip the $1 you might for the beer. You can even tell the bartender that "that" is all "corporate" will allow you to tip now, lol.

I would say that if they are advertising 23oz. then you should get 23oz., but they might come in and say that the head is part of that 32oz. Argue that all you want, but I bet that would be their response. I would stop going there and make sure that everyone there (bartender, manager, corporate) knows why. The amount they save on the short pour will not cover you not buying, sucks for them.

(Edit: I did not see the response above, there you go. I would respond and tell them to stop advertising 23oz of beer because it is simply not. It is a 23oz glass.)

I see the email as a legitimate response and would be curious to see pouring that amount under the head and to see what the measure was. That line may be the 23oz line with room for a 1 inch head.
But it could be waste of time arguing if the 1in head is considered the volume.
We got short pours on our beers last night. THere was no head but the dead space would have left a perfect head for the glass.
It could have been the perfect pour off the tap and improperly washed glasses caused the short walk to your table lose lose all head.

"the "perfect beer" has an inch of head on top. The reason for this is to release the flavor and to release the carbonation that is used to push the beer through the tap. This carbonation, if not released, will cause the guest to feel bloated and the flavor will not be as crisp."

I always wondered about that bloated feeling...

Dave, apparently it's on both. Here's a lousy cell phone shot of the "training" glasses...

Yeah, that line on the 16oz glass looks pretty low too. That line in his response letter about there needing to be a big head is funny. Humm....all this time, and I didn't know I needed a big head so that I'd feel less bloated. Well big head on beer....I guess if I was carrying a big head, I'd feel more bloated:D

But even his arguement is that they try to pour for a 1" head, while in your photos, the level of the beer is well below 1".

Though in the long run, I think it's futile to keep responding to managers....the more you argue, the more they'll defend. Just say what you're upset about and this is why they're losing you as a customer. When they get enough such complaints and lack of sales....then they'll re-evaluate any policy (be it that particular location or if this was a corporate decision).

SO, you release the CO2 to make it more crisp, more delicious, and less bloaty? If I had only known... ;)

I think we all learned something here today. :D

All this time I thought it was just from the 14 beers I drank...

SO, you release the CO2 to make it more crisp, more delicious, and less bloaty? If I had only known... ;)

He is marketing and although his reasons for the 1" head are incorrect, the 1inch head is there for a reason. For us it is to release aroma, for marketing it makes the beer LOOK great. Regardless it is, at least to me, important in a well poured beer.

So, if they gave you a beer with, say, a 4" head it would still be 23 oz. of beer, just that the pour wouldn't be perfect to the other extreme. Corporate morons always think that their customers are dumber than they are. It's a shame because it's the employees on the front lines that have to deal with the corporate need to squeeze every dime.

They need to have glasses that allow for the advertised amount of beer plus 1/2 inch of head, otherwise they are falsely advertising.

I smell a class action lawsuit forming. :D

1/2 - 1" head is a pretty standard agreement in the beer world from what I gather as a good head. half a glass of foam would not be paid for. At least by me. Just as we have the choice to not pay for a 1 inch head.

He gave you a BS answer.

Pass the information on to your local TV consumer reporter. Nothing like getting their @ss handed to them on the evening news to correct a thieving pour.

:mad:

BTW, I'm pretty sure one of their bartenders told me recently that they use nitrogen instead of CO2 to push their beer through the lines. Anyone know if that's standard procedure now?

Before getting too uppity, measure the glass! Here is exactly 23 oz of water in a similar sized weizen glass:

That's interesting, I wonder what size glass they're using now. My friends and I were actually joking about trying to smuggle a glass out of the place just so we could measure it. I guess I'll never know... :drunk:

I doubt BWW uses Mikasa glassware. A quick search and you can find "similar" glasses advertised to hold from 21 to 23 1/2 oz.

That's interesting, I wonder what size glass they're using now. My friends and I were actually joking about trying to smuggle a glass out of the place just so we could measure it. I guess I'll never know... :drunk:

Bring a premeasured 23 ounces of water with you and pour in into the glass after you finish your beer.

I never said BW3 uses that EXACT glass (or brand). I simply showed an example of a similar glass with 23 oz of water. "Similar" glasses are indeed advertised to hold 23 oz of beer, just like 1L mugs are advertised to hold 1L of beer. The printed 1L line falls short of the rim of the mug. It's POSSIBLE that the 23 oz line falls short of the rim of the glass.

The bottom line: without real data and facts, there is no basis for false advertising.

Smuggle your 23 oz in the Whizzinator, fill the glass, and hand it to the bartender.

"Now, THAT'S 23 ounces!"

BTW, I'm pretty sure one of their bartenders told me recently that they use nitrogen instead of CO2 to push their beer through the lines. Anyone know if that's standard procedure now?

I thought a lot of places used "beer gas" which is a mixture of Nitrogen and CO2 (it's so that they can use longer or more lines).

This is standard for longer runs. This makes sure that they can maintain the proper carbonation, the kegs that sit around for a while will not get over carbonated. (I assume actually it is a blend.)

Yeah, might have to go back for some investigation. ;-)

Doesn't look like a Mikasa, and there's a lot of glass down at the bottom of that glass!

pour2.jpg

Like others have said the Europeans use a standard for beers and booze here is a glass filled to the line

ESB1.jpg

here is the line on back it well more than an inch below the rim

ESB2.jpg

and a shameless pic of my Bitter.

Yuri and the manager had it right.

This is a classic example of why not to try to be a beer snob.

Your glass likely contained 23 oz. and was poured perfectly. If you want a miller lite filled to the brim for cheap, grab a plastic cup and head to your local college keg party. If you want a real beer, go buy one.

Most beers should be poured down the center of the glass for the exact reason the manager quoted to you, it builds the head, releases CO2, and prepares the beer for the perfect drinking experience. In a lot of Europe, a Pilsner is called a 7 minute pils because it takes that long to properly pour a pils. Pour... allow to settle... pour.... settle... top up.

I am impressed BW3's is taking there beer this seriously int he first place. Good for them. I still don't support chains, but good for them.

Back