Guidance needed for new build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeerguy

Reaction score
I have tried reading through a bunch of the threads in the automated forum, and they are packed with great info, but I just cannot single out the answer I am looking for.

I am trying to automate my mash tempature. That's all. I am using a HERMS system on a Blichmann burner (propane). I see Blichmann has their Tower of Power modules, but those seem pretty expensive to me.

What do I need to get to automate my mash temps? I was thinking all I needed would be:

- Gas valve to turn on/off the gas of the HLT burner
- Temp sensor placed on output of HERMS coil (measuring mash temp leaving the HLT)
- Some sort of controller to control the gas valve.

Does that sound correct? All I am trying to accomplish is to control the flame on the HLT to maintain the correct mash tempature.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind of. Searching through some threads I found that image/article but that maybe I'm not fully understanding it. I'm not sure if that soleniod will work for me.....from what I gathered I am using HP propane to run the Blichmann Burner and that valve will only work LP. Maybe I am wrong?

Do you really need the Brewtroller and a stand alone PID? Like I said maybe I am just not grasping the whole picture here.....I keep going back to the Blichmanns Tower of Power box. All it has is what I believe is a PID controller, temp sensor and a solenoid valve with ignitor. Can that ignitor and valve be purchased on its own and I supply the PID? Does anyone know the brand that they use? From the video it appears to be ASCO, but I am unsure of the model number.

No you don't need the Brewtroller and a stand alone pid. The Brewtroller can activate burners with the correct gas valves. I'm all electric, but I know lots of BT users using gas with great success.

Thanks psbuckland, but I still feel like I am overcomplicating things. I am still unsure if those Honeywell valves will run on ~10psi of Propane and it appears it has a pilot light as well.

I keep refering to the Blichmanns Tower of Power. It uses some type of ASCO valve and an ignitor electrode. I assume the temp controller is a PID and just a standard temp sensor.

I am wanting something along those lines. I really hate to dish out 600 bucks for the TOP, but I just can't seem to figure what to buy separately to achieve the same thing.

Sorry for just "not getting it", but I really still am confused :confused:

I along with many others have gas burners controlled by the Brewtroller. I have the following to control the burners for my HLT and Ketle.
Honeywell Y8610U6006 Intermittent Pilot Control Conversion Kit (Gas Valve: VR8304M3558, Control Module: S8610U).
Honeywell Q345A1313 Pilot Burner for natural gas with a BCR-18 orifice
Honeywell 390686 LP Orifice for Pilot Burners

Tha system is delivered for natural gas use, so you have to convert by replacing some orifices for propane. There is more information on Brewtroller Forums and also http://wickedstone.com/brewing/Html/gas valves.htm

Back