Opening beer bottles without a proper opener? What objects have you used?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What common object have you used to open a beer bottle?

• Cigarette Lighter

• Fork, Spoon or knife blade

• Inner door latch or hinge on a vehicle door

• Edge of a countertop, deck rail or board

• Other (share!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
HopZombie99 said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned using another beer bottle as an opener yet. Its pretty standard practice around these parts. When I get to the last beer, its probably a lighter.

Several people have mentioned it :)

I advise against any rings that have a stone in the setting...I have an awesome whitegold ring set with a 2+ carat blue lab grown saphire and 6 small white saphires in the sides---i did the ring trick 2x a few months ago...it stretched the band a bit opening the stone setting and the damn thing landed in the disposal the next time I washed my hands....don't know why or how, but at 0100 I figured out where the stone was but since I couldn't see it I flipped on the disposal...and chipped one side of the stone....but-i found it, had a local jeweler reset it and fix the ring....all's well...swmbo was a bit miffed....but got over it...after a few days,..so yeah---I wouldn't do that....

haven't read all the posts - did someone mention the flip-flops with the built in opener? great idea, unless you have dogs...or cattle....

I'm thinking to make one of these:

il_fullxfull.333103160.jpg

Key, or pretty much anything strong enough that'll catch the edge of the cap.

So I was reading about a member using his wedding ring to open beer bottles and it got me thinking; I've always loved craft beer so naturally I have often been without my opener and had to use some other inanimate object to open my beer bottle.

A 1911 with a GI guide rod has a built in bottle opener in the dust cover.

Can someone please explain/link to vid of how to open a bottle with a piece of paper? I assume you would have to roll it really tight, wrap it under the cap lip and then use your hand to lever off the cap?

In my retarded college days I occasionally used my teeth. So glad I still got em. Ha. Another time I was hammered and tried opening a bottle with another bottle. There was lots of blood and my girlfriend was not very gentle when pulling the glass shards out of my hand. Did I mention I was retarded?

+1 for the Aggie ring. Always turns heads in front of folks who have never seen it before. Other than that, I've used my tailgate, screwdriver, fork handle, and countertop.

The metal hinges on the outdoor fridge... a quick, firm hit right on the corner of the metal piece, pops them open every time.

Cigarette lighter also does the trick nicely if you don't have a metal hinge readily available.

Back