Oops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Pitched my yeast at 100 degrees. Dammit. Need to stop drinking during the boil. Anyway... it was a activator pack for a wheat. How worried should I be? Meaning... should I take the 45 min ride to my LHBS tomorrow AM for more yeast??

Couldn't hurt, but do keep in mind it can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. Keep an eye out, the yeast may survive.

Couldn't hurt, but do keep in mind it can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. Keep an eye out, the yeast may survive.

If there's no activity an hour before my LHBS closes tomorrow I'll get and pitch more yeast. Jeez... Think you have everything planned out. Had a boil over and then this. : )

100° is nothing to yeast. It take 120° to damage yeast and 140° to kill it.

See... that's what I would have thought. Then why do most instructions say to pitch at 70? Cooling wort to 100 vs 70 is a big difference in terms of effort.

Wow! try reading this thread in celsius!

yeah hope that he isnt saying celcius cuz then that yeast is dead

otherwise, ur fine. may take a bit to get it started but other than some funky flavor you shouldnt have to do anything, next time substitute storebought ice bags for some top up water, i find that if you use 1 gallon of ice or so it drops your wort right down to 80ish (ice weighs the same as water so just weight what you wanna sub and then convert)

Not celcius and brewing a hefe... so... fermentation took off like crazy. think I'm good.

Back