Silly question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
So say you dont have the loot to buy a march pump and you'd like to help your gravity system along and such. Is there any hand pumps that are out there that would make gravity brewing a little easier? :confused:

Simple, get more gravity:D

Sorry, couldn't resist that. I don't know of any hand pumps off hand, maybe someone else does...

So say you dont have the loot to buy a march pump and you'd like to help your gravity system along and such. Is there any hand pumps that are out there that would make gravity brewing a little easier? :confused:

Google hand gas pumps. One find: Fill Rite Hand Pumps

Would they work? I would be interested in knowing...

You can also speed things up by using as large as possible tubing. Going from an ID of 1/4" to 3/8" DOUBLES the volume inside the tubing. You'll also need to make sure you use larger fittings too. If the inlets and outlets are still small they will negate a bunch you could gain from the larger tubing.

I just bought THIS.... I can't remember the site, but an experienced brewer said he had used one for years with great success.
I haven't used it yet, but will give it a shot when I brew this weekend.

One thing the guy said on his site was to clean out most of the vaseline like lubricant that is in the drill when you buy it so that it doesn't effect your taste.

I just bought THIS.... I can't remember the site, but an experienced brewer said he had used one for years with great success.
I haven't used it yet, but will give it a shot when I brew this weekend.

One thing the guy said on his site was to clean out most of the vaseline like lubricant that is in the drill when you buy it so that it doesn't effect your taste.

I was just thinking about drill powered pumps yesterday. Can any of them handle the heat of hot wort or water? Are they food grade? I know some of them it is nearly impossible for the lube not to contaminate the liquid being moved through there...like the ones used for moving sewage and stuff...

Great investigative work guys. Looks like I'm not the only one thinking on the cheap.

Back