I think i made a mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass2187

Reaction score
Not with my first 5 gallons though, those are doing great.

The mistake i made was letting a roommate borrow my primary fermenter bucket, and letting him use it to drain wine out of fermenting grapes. He let the old juice and grapes sit there for a few days, finally after telling him to clean it up multiple times i did it myself. :mad: Now, i am smelling a somewhat sweet smell at the bottom of the bucket(the bucket which was only been used once for an irish red) 2 of my other roommates say they dont smell anything in the bucket, including the person who made the wine. It is possible that this smell was there before my friend used it, however my bottleing bucket that i used to bottle my red was only used once and it has no smell at all.

Is this slightly sweet smell going to mess up my next 5 gallons i make? Is there anyway to get rid of the smell? Am i going to have to make my friend buy me a new bucket? :mad:

THanks,
Mike

Fill it with warm water and a quarter scoop of oxyclean and let it soak over night. The next day, rinse it out and scrub it with a soft rag and rinse it again. never use abrasives to clean your buckets. After this, it should be good to go.

Fill it with warm water and a quarter scoop of oxyclean and let it soak over night. The next day, rinse it out and scrub it with a soft rag and rinse it again. never use abrasives to clean your buckets. After this, it should be good to go.
Exactly. And make him buy you a new bucket.

Back