Using Molasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My HB Club had a white elephant adjunct exchange, this is where everybody brings an adjunct gift wrapped. People draw a number, then go in order picking out the package, open it or steal one from somebody else.

Well I got molasses... So I have to brew something with it...
  • What dark beers would you guys recomend? I was thinking brown ale or a mild.
  • How much should I use? I was thinking ~ 1/4lb
You guys have any ideas?

BTW - Thank god I didn't get stuck with radishes!!! :D

It would work well in a porter as well. Many historical porter recipes have molasses as an ingredient. I'm planning on using a full pound in the pumpkin porter recipe I am creating. A brown ale would work as well.

To take it to another level, consider using the molasses in something non traditional like a pale ale or IPA. (Just a random McKBrew thought). And yes, thank god you didn't get stuck with radishes.

Radishes are kind of spicy. I'd think something like a hoppy pale with radish or even a belgian radish pale would be awesome.

Molasses are good in anything brown and darker. +1 on more than 1/4 pound. Go up to 10% of your fermentables and you'll really get the full benefit.

I've used treacle (similar to molasses) in a mild and thought it was good. It added a sort of chocolatey-taste to it... but not full-blown chocolatey. I didn't use any chocolate malt, which I think would have been complimentary to it rather than overpowering. I used about 1.5 lbs in a 12 gallon recipe, so anywhere around 10% would be fine. I think molasses would be good in a porter or mild, and maybe a brown ale... outside that and I think it would be a bit more risky as to how it would turn out.

I used about 8 oz (weight) in a Brown Ale, it was very tasty. I should be brewing a similar recipe very soon, plan to use another sizable portion in it.

I've used treacle (similar to molasses) in a mild and thought it was good. It added a sort of chocolatey-taste to it... but not full-blown chocolatey. I didn't use any chocolate malt, which I think would have been complimentary to it rather than overpowering. I used about 1.5 lbs in a 12 gallon recipe, so anywhere around 10% would be fine. I think molasses would be good in a porter or mild, and maybe a brown ale... outside that and I think it would be a bit more risky as to how it would turn out.

I think I'm gonna try this in Orfy's Hobgoblin Recipe. ~ 8oz

I'm prepping to brew tomorrow - the theme is "Winter Ales" so I haven't yet decided which brew I'm going to make. On one hand, the head brewer really liked the Hobgoblin I shared with him last month, and said it was a great example of an old ale...So I was picturing a Molasses Hobgoblin old ale. On the other hand, this time of year last year is when I brewed my very first batch, a Brown Ale with molasses in it. I can't decide if I want to commemorate by entering the same beer but better refined? (You shoulda seen my recipe, it was comically out of balance, but still turned out delicious.)

I have recently bought two large jars of sourgum and ribbon cane syrup to add as adjunct in couple of recipes. the first recipe i plan onusing is a clone of sheperd neame bishops finger, was considering using the whole jar (1.5 to 2 qts) but now will prob only use half after reading how strong the flavor is. Sounds like it should be quite good if I let it age til next winter. pumped about using the stuff. I am thinking that I will use some ribbon cane in a moose drool style brew. Any thoughts?

This is the first recipe I put together myself. It's not a bad brew, the molasses originally was added to try for the "Guinness sour tang" - but sort of took on a life of it's own.

This is the beer that my friends and family ask for, time and again. When I took a brewing hiatus, this is the beer they complained about not having.

Dunderhead Dry Stout

YMMV. Personally, I like other stouts, both commercial and my own, more - but if demand is the indicator of success, this is my most successful brew so far.

Latest posts

Back