Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
Just threw together a immersion wort chiller. Did a vinegar solution boil to test it, worked well, but when I brought it out and wiped it down, it left a yellow residue on the rag. Is this still ok to put into wort??? Is there a better way to clean immersion chillers? Was going to use on tonights brew.

Yes its fine, it is copper right? The vinegar solution was probably a bit acidic, I might boil it in some regular water now just as a safe guard especially if its bran new copper. Then just wipe it down and keep it out of the dust, when you get ready for it just put in the boil 10 or 15 minutes before flame out.

I don't "clean" my chiller with anything. I just rinse it after use and like Dark Ale says just drop it into the boiling wort 10 min before flame out to sterilize. It will look nice and shiny when you first pull it out but will oxidize again.

GT

Back