Delerium Tremens Clone (Lagering?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portablehammer

Reaction score
I just brewed a Pink Elephant Clone all grain, but had a question about the aging instructions. The recipe (http://www.homebrewparty.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20) suggests I lager at 30F for two weeks and then bottle condition for 21 days. I do not have a fridge that can hold a secondary, but I could bottle after the primary and refrigerate for two weeks, then bring the bottles out for the warm condition. Are there flaws in this? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I would do the opposite: bottle the beer, condition it until it's fully carbed, and then put it in the fridge and start drinking. I do this with my ales, and I think that cold conditioning takes some of the edge off (due to tannins or yeast, I guess). It doesn't make much sense at all to bottle and then cool it down. You want the yeast fresh and active right from the start to condition the beer. It will also absorb O2. If you just cool it down, the yeast will go dormant, and the O2 will just sit around in your beer. It may do nothing at the cold temperatures, but I'd rather sweep it out with the yeast from day 1 than wait 2 weeks.

The other thing to remember is that the half-life of a liquid yeast pack stored in a fridge is at most 6 months-that's the best possible storage conditions for the yeast. Undoubtedly, the half-life in a bottle of strong homebrew is going to be much shorter. If you cold condition first, you might lose 20-50% of your yeast, which will just slow down the conditioning process.

Thanks @FarmerTed. I generally do the same for my ales too, but this recipe specifically suggests cold crashing before bottling. I understand the help that this can provide for clarity, but what would it do for flavor, and wouldn't the yeast wake up and carb after a week or so anyway? I assumed that they wanted the yeast to start a little slower on the priming sugars, or that other things needed to settle out. Would this happen in the bottle?

Back