Switched yeast on accident. Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Last week, I brewed Excelsior Altbeir from Midwest (Excelsior Altbier). I am very much a beginner -- this was my fifth ever batch -- and I've only used dry yeast so far. I grabbed the wrong yeast on accident and pitched Safale US-05 from another kit instead of the Munton's 6 gram dry yeast that came with it.

So, I have a couple questions.
1. Should I have any worries about the fermentation of the beer? The airlock activity has not been exceptional (I know that's not a sign...). I have not taken a hydrometer reading since before pitching. Today is a week. I usually do at least 2-3 weeks in a primary before bottling.
2. Not knowing how different or similar these two yeast are, any thoughts on how the beer might turn out?
3. The Safale yeast was for another kit that I am going to brew soon -- Northern Brewer's Honey Brown Ale (Honey Brown Ale Extract Kit w/ Specialty Grains : Northern Brewer). Any thoughts on using the Munton's 6 gm dry yeast for that kit or should I go get some Safale US-05 as they intend for their kit.

Thanks!

I don't know much about Munton's yeast, but US-05 is a great yeast with a clean profile. It seems perfectly appropriate for an altbier.

If there's a problem, it's not because you used the wrong yeast. Take a hydro reading if you are concerned of course. Generally, altbiers would be fermented quite cool. Is that what you're doing? If so, that would explain the low level of visible activity.

I'm not too worried about the fermentation, I suppose. Will take a reading this weekend. It's at 64 degrees right now.
I guess I am more concerned about the taste of this one -- I've heard that about US-05 so hopefully it will be just fine -- and if I can use the Muntons on my Honey Brown Ale. Although perhaps this is a good time to get down to the LHBS and step up to liquid yeast.

Muntons is generally considered a low quality yeast and S-05 is a favorite of many and not outside the style you are making. I'd say you did yourself a favor and it will taste great. 64 degF is no problem.

I'm not too worried about the fermentation, I suppose. Will take a reading this weekend. It's at 64 degrees right now.
I guess I am more concerned about the taste of this one -- I've heard that about US-05 so hopefully it will be just fine -- and if I can use the Muntons on my Honey Brown Ale. Although perhaps this is a good time to get down to the LHBS and step up to liquid yeast.

At 64º, you might not see a huge amount of activity. You are seeing some, though, right?

I did a bit more browsing around. People tend to not be thrilled with Muntons. The story seems to be that it tends to sputter out before desired FG. As far as profile goes, though, it seems to be a clean yeast like US05.

If you're in a pinch and need to use it, I'm sure you'll be fine. But, if you're going to be going to the LHBS anyway, it might be worth picking something else up (either a different dry yeast or a liquid yeast). Hopefully, somebody who has actually used Munton's yeast will chime in.

Yes, definitely seeing some. It's been a week now so not much in the airlock. But there was definitely activity.
I think I'll get something from the LHBS for the Honey Brown and just keep that Muntons on hand for an emergency.

Thanks for the help!

Accidentally switching Munton's for US-05? One of the best mistakes you can make in brewing *ba dum ts*. When using clean flavor profile yeasts it doesnt matter as much. Its when doing a saison or something where the yeast character makes the beer that you go, "rut roh".

Don't fear liquid yeast, BTW. I've had great success with US-05, but many styles cannot be properly executed with the limited selection of dry yeasts.

Back