This is living!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Wife and kids are out of town for the weekend so it's a brew day! The pumpkin is caramelizing in the oven and the mash tun is preheating. I don't know why you don't see more pumpkin lagers as a traditional bock seems like a perfect backdrop for the pumpkin and spices. I fully expect the flavors to carry through the So. German Lager yeast better than it would an ale yeast. The maltiness of the style seems perfect to me so...here we go!

[email protected]

It sounds like an awesome idea. I just started getting into Bocks this past winter. It would make a great base for a pumpkin beer....How come you never hear about Pumpkin Oktoberfests? Seems like they should go together.

Revvy said:
It sounds like an awesome idea. I just started getting into Bocks this past winter. It would make a great base for a pumpkin beer....How come you never hear about Pumpkin Oktoberfests? Seems like they should go together.

I agree! Oktoberfest made my short list when I was considering a base beer. However, I wanted to do a normal O-Fest which is getting ready to lager as we type.

[email protected]

Revvy said:
You going to post your recipe, right?

Absolutely!

10 lbs 00 oz Weyermann Vienna
01 lbs 12 oz. Gambrinus Dk Munich
01 lbs 12 oz Weyermann Munich II
01 lbs 03 oz. Weyermann CaraMunich III
60 oz Libbys 100% Pumpkin

.350 oz Magnum 60 mins
.750 oz Hallertau 30 mins

OG 1.064
IBU 22.3
FG 1.014

Use 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice at flameout
Infuse another 1 tbsp with vodka and use to taste at bottling.

[email protected]

Thanks Revvy. Can't wait to drink this one. It's going to be hard to keep my hands off of it! I went on the smaller end of the traditional bock range hoping I can have it ready for Halloween. I know I'm pushing it!

[email protected]

Survived the long slow mash runoff. The wort is delicious tasting. Just enough spicing to know what it is, but it really let's the bock shine through. I'm pleased so far.

[email protected]

How come you never hear about Pumpkin Oktoberfests? Seems like they should go together.

Terrapin makes a tasty pumpkin oktoberfest aptly named Pumpkinfest, if you're able to get it in your area. They're out of Athens, GA.

Terrapin makes a tasty pumpkin oktoberfest aptly named Pumpkinfest, if you're able to get it in your area. They're out of Athens, GA.

Interestingly, I was reading this thread while waiting for an appointment earlier, and later found this brew when I stopped to check if there was anything new a the local shop. Drinking one right now, and I have to say it's a really nice pumpkin beer! (I've never been disappointed by Terrapin before though, so I'm not surprised it's good!)

Ive had some Terrapins that I love and others that I didnt care for like most breweries. I think their coffee beer is exceptional and I enjoyed their Gamma Ray.

Back