My cigar box stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completegeek

Reaction score
I know, I know. Another stir plate build. I'm proud of it, so sue me.

Supplies:

Cigar box-50 cents
computer fan-free
magnet-free
rheostat-$2.99
switch-free
plexi glass-free
stir bar-$5.00
resistors-99 cents
12 volt charger-free

Total cost for this project was $9.48 total

I doubt I needed to cut a whole in the top of my cigar box but with the plexi glass in place it seems to work fine.

722-fan-had-some-disgusting-black-dust.jpg

717-stir-plate-made-cigar-box-classy.jpg

720-a.jpg

719-stir-bar-stirrin.jpg

The rheostat slowed down the fan quite a bit, but it was still much to fast so I added two 100 ohm resistors inline and that did the trick. It doesn't produce a huge vortex all the way down to the stirbar but will definitely keep the yeasties suspended.

Hope you guys like it.

nice :)

I used a radio shack project box for mine and have cultured up a few bottle dregs...works great.

Reminds me of the cigar box guitars I built a few years ago :ban:

Yeah I saw those project boxes but the guy who own the store I usually buy beer from sells his empty cigar boxes and a I knew he would cut me a deal.

I was actually thinking of making one of those guitars actually. Most of my projects are pointless but at least I can claim the stir plate saved me some money instead of costing me money like most of my projects.

A video of it in action. I think the lens was fogged up. Very humid today in Louisiana.

About a 1 inch vortex on full speed. I think I should use maybe only 150 ohms of resistors instead of the full 200 like I have now. That would probably give me more speed and a bigger vortex.

Last edited by a moderator:
A video of it in action. I think the lens was fogged up. Very humid today in Louisiana.

About a 1 inch vortex on full speed. I think I should use maybe only 150 ohms of resistors instead of the full 200 like I have now. That would probably give me more speed and a bigger vortex.

You don't need a vortex at all for a starter, just a dimple in the surface of the liquid, just enough to keep the yeast in suspension. ;)

Nice build. One of these is on my list. I've got most of what I need so I'm not sure what is holding me back.

Nice build. One of these is on my list. I've got most of what I need so I'm not sure what is holding me back.

Thanks. Of all the things on my ever expanding project list this one was definitely more manageable than most. Even considering scavenging time it was much less than an hour total to build.

I only used 1 hard drive magnet and it was more than enough to grab the 1 inch stirbar. I tried 2 magnets at first but they began to affect the fan motor causing it to not spin when I switched it on.

It's absolutely a fair price. Like I said it's the best I've seen. I've even sent a few emails out with the link for my friends who wouldn't take the time to make their own.

Just tried the Sierra Nevada Torpedo clone kit you guys have. Brewed it yesterday and I was salivating. I can hardly wait till it's ready to try.

Back