When adding an additive (Rasberry flavor)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
I brewed a Ras Wheat beer the other day from a kit from AHS. It gave me a 2 oz bottle of rasberry flavoring to add. The instructions say to add it to the bottling bucket. The problem is I keg. Soo, here are my way to tedius questions :)

1. Should I add it to the secondary right before I transfer to the keg?
2. Should I add it to the keg after transfer?
3. If #2, should I "stir" the keg or let the co2 mix it up

Yea yea, i'm supposing all 3 of these options have little effect on anything but stilll wanted to ask.

Personally, I'd fill the keg, then add half of the extract, stir, and taste. If it needs more, add the other half. This way, you have full control over how much raspbery flavor lands in the end product. I don't think you'd want to add to the secondary, because to taste it you'd have to stir, then you'd be unsettling the small amount of trub that had settled out.

Bird, as usual, is spot-on. After learning my lesson with spruce essence, I'm very careful with flavorings, essences, etc. You can throw all that hard work and waiting down the drain in 2 seconds if you add too much. My Goat Scrotum Porter ended up tasting like a pine tree.

I just did one.

I just dumped half of the bottle in the keg, then racked on top of it. IMHO 1/2 the bottle was still too much, so be careful

Chimone said:
I just did one.

I just dumped half of the bottle in the keg, then racked on top of it. IMHO 1/2 the bottle was still too much, so be careful

I second this method - no offense to "the bird", but you don't want to stir your beer if you can avoid it at all.

dcbrewmeister said:
I second this method - no offense to "the bird", but you don't want to stir your beer if you can avoid it at all.

Yeah, you're right - I meant that uber-careful, non-splashing stirring that some people do when they want to make sure that they are properly mixing their priming sugar. Should have emphasized that, though - aeration at this stage is your enemy (which I know that Mike already knows).

Well you can always add, seal the keg, shake and taste. Theres nothing to say you cant always add more later.

Back