Zymurgy KBS clone OG way low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb2696

Reaction score
The current issue of Zymurgy has a recipe for Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout. They list the OG at 1.092, but KBS is 11.2% ABV, so thats gotta be at least a good 10 points or so too low, right?

I noticed the same thing. I guess that they didn't think most of us could manage the high gravity fermentation???

The bottle of KBS that I tried tasted like whiskey and nothing else. Kind of like a boilermaker with the %s reversed. Needless to say that I didn't give that recipe too much thought. I love just about every other Founders brew though.

Actually, the beer gets the extra spike of alcohol from the freshly emptied bourbon barrels it conditions in for a year. The gravity is indeed 22 plato, or 1.092, according to Founders Head Brewer Jeremy Kosmicki. We know you guys can handle high grav beers. ; )

Cheers,

Amahl Turczyn Scheppach
Zymurgy

Well from what I understand, the bourbon in those barrels is much higher strength than what is eventually bottled...after the "angel's share" it ends up being cask strength around 60%. Enough soaks into the charred oak to add a substantial amount to whatever's aged in the barrel afterwards. Seems like a worthy clone experiment for some Kentucky homebrew club that can procure a freshly used barrel...

Back