Anyone seen Papazian's "Black Samba" recipe in the latest Zymurgy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
What a tasty sounding recipe. A lagered Imperial/"Baltic" Porter. I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking of giving this sucker a go? I think I may take it on as my 3rd ever AG batch / first ever lagering of a beer. It looks creative, interesting, and challenging- the 3 things I love to have in a recipe.

I did a brown porter using a lager yeast and dehusked black malt for my roasted malt. Super smooth and delicious, it was a big hit. I would think a stronger porter done in this way would also be great.

He actually reccomends his 'Cry Havoc' strain (which is new to me, also used for both lagers and ales), or any other lager yeast. I'm curious, how much to style did the Porter taste/what effect did the yeast have on it?

It tasted to style for the most part, it was just cleaner and maybe a little softer. I used Bavarian lager yeast from white labs. It really brought out the best in the malt without any sharpness.

Back