North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner Reverse Engineerizationalize

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
One of my favorite lager styles.. Great beer. Scrimshaw..

I am trying my first lager this weekend. I've become pretty familiar with IPA recipes and getting there with stout recipes... All thru trial and error, etc..

Although I've seen many lager recipes, I have never tried one. No experience. I would attempt to put this together myself, but dont know where to start... Havent found any ideas when i google clone recipes..

North Coast website says;

--Scrimshaw is a fresh tasting Pilsner brewed in the finest European tradition using Munich malt and, Hallertauer and Tettnang hops. Scrimshaw has a subtle hop character, a crisp, clean palate, and a dry finish.--
Style: Pilsner
Color: Pale Straw
ABV: 4.4%
Bitterness: 22 IBU's

I can use Beersmith to reverse engineer the recipe.. But does anyone with much more experience than me have any ideas? Iuse Bobby's NMODBS method and consistently get 80%eff. I have a 72qt Coleman Extreme with ss braid..

Scrimshaw???
Classic American Pilsner

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/7/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Jackson
Boil Size: 6.25 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.5 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.51 %
Bitterness: 21.9 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 9.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 8.50 lb
Sparge Water: 4.61 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min 147.0 F

:D

I would guess it is mostly pils malt with a small percentage of Munich malt for added breadiness (say 5-10%). A 100% munich malt beer will be darker and maltier/richer than what you are aiming for.

Other than that it looks good to me. Just make sure to pitch plenty of yeast, ferment at the correct temperature, raise it up for a diacetyl rest if you need it, and give it an extended lagering as close to freezing as you can.

awesome.

any thoughts on yeast? i am totally unfamiliar with lager yeasts

Not sure what the original uses, but there is nowhere near the variation between lager yeasts that there is among ale yeasts since they are all "pretty clean." I would suggest picking a versitile strain and using it for all you lagers for awhile, get used to how it responds in different situations. I love 2206 Bavarian Lager from Wyeast, I've tried a few others but I keep coming back to it (it even does a good job up around 60 in Biere de Gardes).

thanks...

the close brew shop only had Wyeast 2112 California Lager.

the far brew shop has White Labs 800 Pilsner Lager.

I wanted Wyeast 2007 Pilsner, but they are often out of exactly what you are looking for..

I think I want the White Labs, and the Wyeast website says the California Lager does not handle the cold quite as well. The dude even suggested against lagering, he said I'll want the 'lager' period at like 45*

plus I like that in the description of the pilsner yeasts, they say 'finishes dryand crisp' and thats what I'm looking... havent used White Labs in a while so guess I'm taking a trip to the southside brew shop tomorrow..

Back