Video: How to make a mash tun from a 50qt Coleman cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustball

Reaction score
This is our first attempt at documenting the obsession :)

I know it ain't perfect, but ... comments welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good video. I like the wire coil within the stainless braid. A good idea for using a large diameter braid and it's also nice that you can shape the braid however you want with it in.

What were the conduit lock nuts you were using made out of? I thought they were zinc plated steel. If so they will rust very quickly in the acidic mash. I had this problem with a washer I used for my first all grain made out of zinc plated steel. After the first mash I had to throw it out and order a stainless washer from an online brewstore. Stainless washers that fit over a 1/2 inch nipple were impossible to find locally.

Nice video, and welcome to HBT!

All the info I've found says you want to keep the braid away from the edges, so you don't have the water flowing right down the edge and leaving lots of sugars in the grainbed. Easy enough to rebend the wire, though.

I used a bunch of copper wire I made a frame with to hold my braid still. I didn't bother with a wire through the inside of it, though. It seemed beefy enough to not worry about, but I suppose I'll be really mad at myself for not doing it if it ever does collapse on me!

I heard "galvanized" wire also and that's going to need replacing.

+1 buy a SS spring to go in the braid if you feel you need it. I know you can get the SS springs at McMaster-Carr for around $5. Galvanized is sure to rust.

FWIW, I think a water heater supply line is also a better choice when using a SS braid, it is more rigid and larger in diameter which means more surface area and a quicker run-off.

Great video!

great video, but 'm concerned about the galvanized wire. is that food safe?

What's up with all the teflon tape on the connections inside the mash tun? With a braid, it is a system of leaks, no? I could see if you had a syphon situation, but not here. Sorry, over engineering is just a pet peave of mine.

Back