Safety question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeoldebrewer

Reaction score
This is a simplistic question regarding a very basic project. The answer is probably somewhere on HBT, but I can't find it--so apologies in advance.

I'm swapping out my Ranco 1 stage controller with a Ranco 2 stage ETC 211000-000.

In short, I don't want to drill holes through the walls of my old Kenmore fridge. I'm currently just running the sensor cable past the door seal with some added duct tape.

Since the heater will require real amperage, is it safe to do the same with wires supplying the heater? If so, can this be done with 120V? Or would it be safer to use a low voltage heater, such as 12-24V?

Advice would be very much appreciated.

I really don't think the wires will get pinched (if that's even your question) to the extent that it'll cause any kind of hazzard. I too didn't want to risk drilling in the walls of my fridge...so I simply drilled through the door. No chance of hitting any cooling lines.....I originally ran my thermo wire past the door seal...but I didn't like how it misshapped the rubber...especially if I wanted to use it as a fridge again. I figure I can always just chaulk the small hole in the door.

Does the fridge have a drain hole? You could come up through that so no drilling is done.

As you say, It's an old kenmore fridge, you could simply cut a little notch in the door weatherstripping near the bottom hinge and the secure the wire w/ a bit of tape.

Thanks all for good advice.

A hole near the door edge on the hinge side--maybe filled with foam--or a notch in the weatherstripping should both work. Perhaps the wires could be wrapped with some kind of closed cell foam in case of the notch arrangement for a better seal.

Thanks and Brew Strong

Back