Yeast Choice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeegod

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am starting an ocktoberfest in the next week or so and I am torn between which yeast to use. WL862 Cry Havoc and WL830 a german lager yeast. This will be a full boil extract recipie with steeped grains. Any thoughts? Scott

How about WLP833 German Bock? I believe that's what the Oktoberfest recipe in Brewing Classic Styles suggests.

+1 on WLP833. I just finished listening to the podcast of the oktoberfest show, they highly recommend that yeast... they say the others just don't finish as clean.

I'd use Saflager W-34/70 (2 packs) to avoid making the huge starter. It's the same strain as WLP830. My results with this yeast (in the same recipes I've used WLP830) are excellent.

if you do not have the ability to properly ferment cold then i would go with the cry havoc as that is a very clean fermenting yeast in the upper 60s. if you can ferment in the midto upper 50s go with the lager yeasts mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back