Brewed First All Grain - Centennial Blonde - High Gravity just curious why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I brewed my first all grain tonight which was a great experience. I would say that everything went VERY well as i did quite a bit of research before I started and am very happy with the day as a whole.

I brewed the centennial blonde mashed at 153 collected 2.15 gallons of first runnings. I then sparged with 175 water and collected 4.25 gallons of sparge. I had about 4 cups or so of wort left after my boil.

My only issue was that the gravity came out at 1.050 surprisingly. How in the world did i manage that :drunk:

Any ideas why I could have gotten such a high gravity????

I am so glad to be an all grain brewer!!!

Sounds like you got some great efficiency...or maybe added a little too much grain :D. I think that recipe is assuming 75% efficiency. Depending on the crush, mash efficiency or lauter efficiency you may have got higher than that. Good work! The idea now is to figure out what your efficiency actually is, and plan future recipes accordingly. Grats on the first AG! :mug:

That's pretty awesome, I remember my first AG was about 55%. Once you get a couple under your belt you'll have a good idea of what your efficiency is, and then you can start adjusting/planning recipes for your efficiency. There's a lot of reasons you efficiency could be on the higher side..Good pH,proper crush, accurate & steady temperature, sparge technique, so on and so on. Sounds like you have a good process, congrats:mug:

damn, i iguess my readings did me well. I could not imagine how i could have done something wrong to get such a high number, but I guess there is no other way to have gotten that.

Playing with Beersmith, to get 1.50 that means I landed an 80% efficiency on my first AG batch - HELLLLLLS YEAH!

Thanks to the FAQ's, Bobby's Youtube video, and many other readings I came across on this site. Damn, I am happy as hell LOL

I will be sure to do a few more batches to make sure this is not a fluke before I get too excited and adjust my recipies. Ohh and I was really worried about the boiloff being too little based on how much I thought was in my brewpot.. i was really close on that too for my first time. I had about 4 cups left in the pot, but after seeing it, much of it was sludgy so I guess I would not want that either unless I strained the heck out of it.

There are several things that require tweaking to get your efficiency up. Suppose you did them all just right?? No sense worrying about a good thing. Just try to match it next tiem and keep track of your numbers and hope you continue.

Back