Central Veeyay Brewdown Ought-Nine [#1]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
In the immortal words of Sir Ice Cube, once again, it's on!

Next Saturday, February 7th, we're holding the first CVBD of 2009. It will again be at Flyin' Lion's house in Chester, Virginia. PM him for directions if you want to attend. No set start time, but I'm going to try to be there before 10am. There's no requirement that you brew the official recipe/style, but it's encouraged (for education purposes, to be able to see the same recipe side by side from different brewers). What we've come up with is a British Mild Ale---the recipe is as follows (comments/criticism welcome!) I've listed the Thames Valley strain because AHS seems to be taking their sweet f*cking time pulling my order. I'd like to use the Yorkshire VSS strain that I ordered, but it's not going to be here in time to make a good starter. The Thames is pretty awesome...but you could really use any British strain like that. WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 are the ones BCS suggests. S04 could also work, but with such a delicate style like this, I'd suggest going with a liquid strain.

Code:
Brackish Slop

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

11-A  English Brown Ale, Mild

Min OG:  1.030   Max OG:  1.038
Min IBU:    10   Max IBU:    25
Min Clr:    12   Max Clr:    25  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):        10.00    Wort Size (Gal):   10.00
Total Grain (Lbs):       12.63
Anticipated OG:          1.037    Plato:              9.31
Anticipated SRM:          17.6
Anticipated IBU:          18.8
Brewhouse Efficiency:       80 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      10.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:   11.11    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.033    SG          8.40  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 79.2    10.00 lbs. Maris Otter Pale Malt         Great Britain  1.038      3
  4.0     0.50 lbs. Pale Chocolate                US             1.030    200
  7.9     1.00 lbs. Special Roast Malt            America        1.033     40
  7.9     1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L                  Great Britain  1.033    120
  1.0     0.13 lbs. Carafa Special                Germany        1.030    600

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.50 oz.    Goldings - E.K.                   Whole    6.00  18.8  60 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.00 Tsp    Irish Moss                     Fining    15 Min.(boil) 

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:           
Profile known for: 

Calcium(Ca):           0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg):         0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na):            0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4):          0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl):          0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):     0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs:   12.63
Water Qts:   17.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    4.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.35 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 154  Time:  60
Mash-out Rest Temp :         158  Time:  20
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.26 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I think the recipe looks fantastic! I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Yorkshire strain when you get a chance to brew with it; I just ordered some from Midwest and I'll be doing a comparison to my most recent mild that fermented with 1028.

Given the low OG, you could conceivably just do a direct pitch of the Yorkshire. Hell, even half a day on the stirplate will do it!

I think the recipe looks fantastic! I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts on the Yorkshire strain when you get a chance to brew with it; I just ordered some from Midwest and I'll be doing a comparison to my most recent mild that fermented with 1028.

Given the low OG, you could conceivably just do a direct pitch of the Yorkshire. Hell, even half a day on the stirplate will do it!

Yeah, I know, but A) I don't know how long AHS has been holding those packs, so who knows what the viability is, and B) I placed the order on Wednesday, and they still haven't shipped it. This is becoming more and more commonplace at AHS---they take fukkin forever to send the order. I've emailed them and asked them if there was any way they could get it on the truck before the weekend, but haven't gotten a response, so I'm going to assume it'll be Monday before it gets shipped. 5 damn days! And if that's the case, I don't even know if it will arrive by Saturday! I think I'm going to have to switch to NB for good if this crap keeps up. I like Forrest, he's a good guy with good intentions, and I'm not badmouthing them, but when there's a viable alternative that typically takes less than 12 hours to pull your order, for only a dollar more for shipping, well...the choice is becoming more and more obvious.

Yeah, I know, but A) I don't know how long AHS has been holding those packs, so who knows what the viability is, and B) I placed the order on Wednesday, and they still haven't shipped it. This is becoming more and more commonplace at AHS---they take fukkin forever to send the order. I've emailed them and asked them if there was any way they could get it on the truck before the weekend, but haven't gotten a response, so I'm going to assume it'll be Monday before it gets shipped. 5 damn days! And if that's the case, I don't even know if it will arrive by Saturday! I think I'm going to have to switch to NB for good if this crap keeps up. I like Forrest, he's a good guy with good intentions, and I'm not badmouthing them, but when there's a viable alternative that typically takes less than 12 hours to pull your order, for only a dollar more for shipping, well...the choice is becoming more and more obvious.

Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down. ;)

Truthfully, I've not ordered from AHS since before Christmas; I've been pretty well stocked with all my grain, hops, etc. That said, if you haven't already, give Brewmaster's Warehouse a shot at some point.

I've only ordered from him once just when he opened shop for some odds and ends and couldn't be more satisfied; $6.95 flat rate for FedEx shipping.

I've not seen Forrest in quite some time on here, whatever that means.

Anyhow, I'm pitching the wife on the roadtrip today; I'll keep you posted if we can make it down! If we can make it, I have a pound of Goldings. Might need to brew another batch of mild!

Yeah, I'm pickin' up what you're throwin' down. ;)

Truthfully, I've not ordered from AHS since before Christmas; I've been pretty well stocked with all my grain, hops, etc. That said, if you haven't already, give Brewmaster's Warehouse a shot at some point.

I've only ordered from him once just when he opened shop for some odds and ends and couldn't be more satisfied; $6.95 flat rate for FedEx shipping.

I've not seen Forrest in quite some time on here, whatever that means.

Anyhow, I'm pitching the wife on the roadtrip today; I'll keep you posted if we can make it down! If we can make it, I have a pound of Goldings. Might need to brew another batch of mild!

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Make your best sales pitch and let us know!! That'd be great.

With such a low OG, could I mash 10 gallons in a five gallon cooler?

Thanks for coming up with the recipe, Evan.

With such a low OG, could I mash 10 gallons in a five gallon cooler?

Thanks for coming up with the recipe, Evan.

Promash is saying that, with a 1.35 water/grain ratio (which I upped because I have the room), my mash volume is going to be about 5.26 gallons. If you go down to the typical 1.25 ratio, it's just at 5 gallons. You could go lower, plan for poorer efficiency, and use higher sparge volumes (and break the sparges up into more batches).

I think I'll try the 1.25 gallon mash and sparge until I get my boil volume. I'll see what Bob has for Yeast, worst case scenario I can use the SO4.

I think I'll try the 1.25 gallon mash and sparge until I get my boil volume. I'll see what Bob has for Yeast, worst case scenario I can use the SO4.

worst case, like I said, I would be happy to make you a starter from some of my harvested english strains. just let me know!

US-04 will be perfectly acceptable; I've done previous batches of my mild using that yeast. Flocs great, nice esters.

worst case, like I said, I would be happy to make you a starter from some of my harvested english strains. just let me know!

That depends on whether we are trying to see the effects that different yeasts will have on this recipe. I have no problem allowing someone else make a starter for me. :D

I'd love to offer you a place to stay, but we have a smallish house and you could be a crazy ax-murderer.

There is a decent hotel around the corner, though. A Holiday Inn Express or a Ramada Inn next to Hooters. :mug:

Appreciate it! Still hammering out the details so nothing is set in stone.

That depends on whether we are trying to see the effects that different yeasts will have on this recipe. I have no problem allowing someone else make a starter for me. :D

I'll make one up for ya then...my Yorkshire shows up on Wednesday. I'll try one for you with the wlp002. And since I know ya, I'll only charge $29.95 for it ;)

I'm going to be picking up about 4oz. of leaf EKG, that should be enough for 25 gallons of Evan's mild recipe. Evan and I are doing 10 gallons, so some lucky individual can use the rest.:D

That's asuming Evan doesn't want to use his pellets.

I'm going to be picking up about 4oz. of leaf EKG, that should be enough for 25 gallons of Evan's mild recipe. Evan and I are doing 10 gallons, so some lucky individual can use the rest.:D

That's asuming Evan doesn't want to use his pellets.

Well, I can't use these pellets with this new system unless I put them in a damn grain bag. Which I might do. Not sure. Either way, as I said before, my pound of whole leaf EKG from hopsdirect should be delivered the day after tomorrow, so unless WB has a screaming deal on theirs (which I doubt...got 'em for like a buck thirty an ounce from hopsdirect), I won't need those. Don't let that stop you from getting them, though...you can never have too much EKG. :D

Well, I can't use these pellets with this new system unless I put them in a damn grain bag. Which I might do. Not sure. Either way, as I said before, my pound of whole leaf EKG from hopsdirect should be delivered the day after tomorrow, so unless WB has a screaming deal on theirs (which I doubt...got 'em for like a buck thirty an ounce from hopsdirect), I won't need those. Don't let that stop you from getting them, though...you can never have too much EKG. :D

Okay, I'll stil pick up as much as they'll let me (they cap the amount of hops you buy at 4 or 5 oz.). I thought Hopsdirect wasn't going to have them to you in time (not really direct is it?).

Okay, I'll stil pick up as much as they'll let me (they cap the amount of hops you buy at 4 or 5 oz.). I thought Hopsdirect wasn't going to have them to you in time (not really direct is it?).

No, what I said was, from the time the order was placed till the time they are scheduled to arrive was about a week and a half, and as such, if YOU had ordered them late last week like you were talking about doing, you probably would not have had them by the 7th.

Gotcha, but a week and a half still isn't very direct, is it?

That's UPS ground from WA for ya. I'm sure it'd be more 'direct' if I felt like paying more than $10 in shipping, but anything other than simple ground shipping with UPS costs an arm and a leg.

And I really don't care how direct they are---I'm getting hops for a buck thirty an ounce!

Still quicker than getting something here from Canadia, too...;)

What really pisses me off is when companies like AHS and MoreBeer take forever to ship stuff (or don't even have it in inventory when they say they do), even though their close competitors (Midwest, NB, etc) have that stuff ready in a day. Way to lose customers, *****ie! Hopsdirect (not hopsquickly ;)) are good guys, always helpful, and I like to support them. And their prices are kickass.

What about edibles? Dude's pulled pork sammiches were good, but I was thinking a crockpot full of Swedish Meatballs would be well-matched to this endeavor. One need only stab a meatball when the mood strikes, or they could be placed on a bun if one so desired.

What say the invitees?

I'd LOVE to come to this, but I am down here in Sunny Louisiana helpeing these folks out. I would be game if I wasn't 1500 miles away.

Shucks.

I'd even pony up a few ediible homegrown steaks to secure an invitation. If I could have come, would ya'll have preferred ribeyes, sirlois or t-bones?

What about edibles? Dude's pulled pork sammiches were good, but I was thinking a crockpot full of Swedish Meatballs would be well-matched to this endeavor. One need only stab a meatball when the mood strikes, or they could be placed on a bun if one so desired.

What say the invitees?

I'm so into that...

Let me see how the daughter feels after they get back from the doc in the box tonight. She has been going up, down, back, and forth with this damned strep throat thing and I dont want to bring her down if she will contaminate all of us.

The war dept will be out of town this weekend so I may have the go ahead for this one!
Not to mention, I went by the LHBS and picked up a couple of brews that need to get a goin!
-Me

Let me see how the daughter feels after they get back from the doc in the box tonight. She has been going up, down, back, and forth with this damned strep throat thing and I dont want to bring her down if she will contaminate all of us.

The war dept will be out of town this weekend so I may have the go ahead for this one!
Not to mention, I went by the LHBS and picked up a couple of brews that need to get a goin!
-Me

Just for the record, SWMBO is going through chemo and has a weakened immune system. It may be a non-issue if we all stay in the garage, and it looks like the weather might cooperate in that regard. I'd just like to keep known health issues to a minimum, if I can.

Well, even better - If I can get her to spend a weekend with grammy, I might be golden! :)
Ill let yall know!
-Me

Just for the record, SWMBO is going through chemo and has a weakened immune system. It may be a non-issue if we all stay in the garage, and it looks like the weather might cooperate in that regard. I'd just like to keep known health issues to a minimum, if I can.

as long as you don't mind me drainin' the main vain in your bushes...

It wasn't a big deal last time because noone was visibly sick. I'm just puttin' it out there as a reminder of her condition. Of course you all are welcome to use the facilities, she'll just have to limit her exposure.

One more treatment and she's done with chemo. Then there's MRI's, PT scans, CT scans, surgeries to remove her port...

It wasn't a big deal last time because noone was visibly sick. I'm just puttin' it out there as a reminder of her condition. Of course you all are welcome to use the facilities, she'll just have to limit her exposure.

One more treatment and she's done with chemo. Then there's MRI's, PT scans, CT scans, surgeries to remove her port...

whew, that sucks. but at least she's done soon!!!!

Back