My Hydrometer is floating in my carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsnthelou

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've had a heck of a time taking the readings and to make a long story short, now my pumpkin ale has a hydrometer floating in it...guess I'll be waiting til bottling to fish it out. Yup, that's my latest dumb ars moment :drunk: and I was totally sober when I pulled that off, (ok go easy I am a blonde afterall) lol
I'm sure there is some sort of tool I need to put the brew in to take these reading? :mug:

Thanks!

Yep, you can use a wine thief or a self priming racking cane to remove beer from your carbouy for testing/sampling.

I've had a heck of a time taking the readings and to make a long story short, now my pumpkin ale has a hydrometer floating in it...guess I'll be waiting til bottling to fish it out. Yup, that's my latest dumb ars moment :drunk: and I was totally sober when I pulled that off, (ok go easy I am a blonde afterall) lol
I'm sure there is some sort of tool I need to put the brew in to take these reading? :mug:

Thanks!

sounds like your going to be able to keep track of the progress in real time!

And that's exactly how I ended up with my floating hydrometer in my ale, :cross:

But did you tie it with a double half hitch? ;)

Also I should qualify. When I mentioned fishing string I didn't mean the monofilament kind. That doesn't stay tied very well. Actually kite string or sewing thread works pretty good too. Just make sure it's all sanitized before entering the fermenter... Cheers!!!

I had this problem recently, but I only had like 6 inches of airspace. I used chopsticks to fish it out (skillz I know)

You could also just take a short length of ~1/4 in ID vinyl tubing to get your sample. Plug one end with your thumb, stick the other end in the carboy, release your thumb to pull up the sample and re-seal with your thumb to take the sample out (like how you "picked up" Coke with your straw as a kid......or if your like me as an adult too).

But did you tie it with a double half hitch? ;)

double half who? no, I am so talented:(

Delaney I had this problem recently, but I only had like 6 inches of airspace. I used chopsticks to fish it out (skillz I know)

you are awesome :rockin:

funkswing You could also just take a short length of ~1/4 in ID vinyl tubing to get your sample. Plug one end with your thumb, stick the other end in the carboy, release your thumb to pull up the sample and re-seal with your thumb to take the sample out (like how you "picked up" Coke with your straw as a kid......or if your like me as an adult too).

very good idea! thanks!! :mug:

You could also use a piece of hose and insert your hydrometer tip into the hose, then lower it in to the beer. No knots to come loose. I just use a wine thief.
tom

When i do hydro reading I just put the hydrometer into my wine thief, pull up the sample and read it in the thief. Sometimes I'll drink the sample, sometimes I'll just put the sample back in the carboy.

I usually primary in buckets, so it's super easy to take hydro samples, open lid, drop in hydrometer, take reading and remove.

.... maybe a straw with some double sided tape to remove the hydrometer.

I'm new, but this sounds like a good idea to me. You can just tap on the hydrometer to release bubbles/crud and get a reading without pulling any beer out. Or is this not a good idea?

I'm new, but this sounds like a good idea to me. You can just tap on the hydrometer to release bubbles/crud and get a reading without pulling any beer out. Or is this not a good idea?

Well you have to sanitize your hydrometer. But the biggest concern would be any kraeusen getting in the way of you reading the hydrometer. And you're exposing your fermenter to dust and whatnot. And you don't get to taste the hydrometer sample....

Most brewers pull a sample from the fermenter to take a hydrometer reading, taste it and dump whats left over (if any). No point in exposing your whole batch to contamination.

Well you have to sanitize your hydrometer. But the biggest concern would be any kraeusen getting in the way of you reading the hydrometer. And you're exposing your fermenter to dust and whatnot. And you don't get to taste the hydrometer sample....

Most brewers pull a sample from the fermenter to take a hydrometer reading, taste it and dump whats left over (if any). No point in exposing your whole batch to contamination.

99.99% of the time if there's krausen you shouldn't be taking a hydro reading anyway.

Most brewers have to open the fermenter regardless of how they're taking the reading so you always run the risk of dust & whatnot.

I guess I'm in a minority then because I don't pull a sample. I just sanitize the hydro, my hands and plop it in. When I remove the hydro I cup my other hand under it and collect a few drops, just enough to get a taste and no waste.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Cheers!!!

I plan on dropping a hydrometer into my first pilsner this week, with a 1-gallon batch it really makes no sense for me to constantly test it for a D-rest...I'll end up with like 5 beers

I am planning on sanitizing it and dropping it in after 5 days to monitor

I plan on dropping a hydrometer into my first pilsner this week, with a 1-gallon batch it really makes no sense for me to constantly test it for a D-rest...I'll end up with like 5 beers

I am planning on sanitizing it and dropping it in after 5 days to monitor

Thinking 1 gallon may or may not have enough room for the hydro. You might hold it up next to the fermenter to make sure it doesn't bottom out. Cheers!!!

That all makes sense. This whole time I thought it would be great to have a hydrometer in the secondary since you could just look at the carboy and instantly see your reading...but I'd hate to ruin a batch for convenience.

I primary in a plastic bucket. But i drilled and added a spigot. So to check on my beer i remove the airlock and pull a sample. Much smaller chance for contamination.

Back