JB weld or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB weld, yes or no

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

SSRider

Reaction score
Ive been researching alot about how Im going to do my equipment, and I have found some people who have used JB weld, so I am leaning this way. I am going to use the JB stick, it says it with stands temperatures over 500 degrees, and will setup underwater even. It is also much easier to work with than regular JB weld since it is a putty that be formed, and smoothed to look just like a standard weld. On the website they say it is completely non toxic, they just dont recommend eating it. So what do yall think. yay or ney

Not just no but hell f'n no. For the price of sixer of home brew and a little phone time lookin for a local guy with stainless welding skills & equipment you can have the real thing... metal, sterile, and strong. Leave JBweld for the shade tree mechanics.

I used JB weld on my plastic MLT cooler conversion. Doesn't leak. Doesn't chip. No off flavors. Pretty good solution for me personally.

The people who I have found that used it all say the same thing, that it works perfect for them.

Even if it's "non toxic" I'll guarantee ya that it's not foodgrade - especially at the temperatures required for brewing...

So I'm another in the "you need a F-no selection" group

Ive been researching alot about how Im going to do my equipment, and I have found some people who have used JB weld, so I am leaning this way. I am going to use the JB stick, it says it with stands temperatures over 500 degrees, and will setup underwater even. It is also much easier to work with than regular JB weld since it is a putty that be formed, and smoothed to look just like a standard weld. On the website they say it is completely non toxic, they just dont recommend eating it. So what do yall think. yay or ney

I'm not gonna vote until I hear exactly what you are proposing using it for. For a boil kettle, I'd almost surely vote an emphatic NO, but I can see other applications for which it might be useful.

JB Weld is a great product, I've done amazing things with it. It has it's limitations though, and one shouldn't take the "weld" in it's name too seriously.

After re-reading, let me say that I wouldn't use it on a boil kettle. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. For an application like a MLT I think it's perfectly acceptable. Boiling...i dunno...

Im thinking about using it to put the stainless couplers in my HLT, MLT, heat exchanger and Kettle. I am actually waiting on a call from my buddies pops who welds stainless and will see what he can do for me. If I can get them welded Ill go that way, but if not, Ill either solder these myself or jb weld them.

If nothing else, I will be using it to "weld" on the hardware so I can dump my MLT for cleaning. Thats outside the keg so it cant be bad.

I'm the technical service manager for JB Weld's super-high performance competitor and there is no chance in hell I would drink anything which had been in contact with it.

...it says it with stands temperatures over 500 degrees, and will setup underwater even.

Underwater curing is true, epoxies don't cure by evaporation the way latex paints do but the 500°F claim is asinine. Epoxide linkages break down at this temperature. Our lab has NEVER been able to substantiate this claim and what they aren't telling you is this is dry not immersed.

Latest posts

Back