impromptu drainboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe6pack

Reaction score
Hopefully I will be bottling tomorrow, and I was thinking about going to the LHBS and buying a drain rack for my bottles. Then I came up with the idea to just stick them on my dishwasher racks to drain. I think it will work great EXCEPT....

The dishwasher in question is fairly old, and the plastic (or whatever it is) coating has rubbed off of the steel racks and the tips have started to rust. Will this be a problem? Maybe cause a spot of rust in the bottles?

Sorry about the fuzzy picture.

100_1877.jpg

Lots of us did this for bottling. Some of us even went so far as to run the washer through a cycle with a dose of sanitizer. The door also makes for a good filling platform making drip cleanup a breeze.

I was considering running the dishwasher with some B-Brite, but I think the bottles are clean enough to just do a dose of sanitizer.

My question specifically was about the rust spots on the rack. Will they cause a problem?

I don't think it will cause a problem, I did this with wine bottles when making wine and my dishwasher has the same issue. I did not ever notice any difference.

My dishwasher looks worse than that and I've used it as a bottle rack with no problems whatsoever. I do make sure that it was recently run and no dirty dishes had been on the racks since the last cycle. I wouldn't bother to wrap them myself, it's not like they're on there for a long time anyway.

The door also makes for a good filling platform making drip cleanup a breeze.

One of the many astoundingly simple and effective ideas I've found here and added to the places in my gray matter that used to contain the useless stuff they told me would be important when I was at school. :rockin:

Back