Wort chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with just having very cold water (~2.5 gal) in the fermentor then adding the hot wort (~2.5 gal boiled down from 3 or so) to cool it down quickly? Or do I need to chill the boil pot quickly, THEN add to the fermentor? The former seems much easier, but will it cause any problems?

It would probally shatter the glass with the temp change.

the exact opposite. You'll shatter your glass carboy doing that.
Ever take a hot glass out of the dishwasher and try to put ice water in it? Try it.

Sounds like you're doing partial boils. An ice bath will suffice for you. But if you ever step up to full boils you'll need an Ic or CFC.

I do that all the time but get the wort to 110 first. 1gallon of 40 degree water - add wort that is down to 110 and dilute with more 35-40 degree water.

HOTTER wort I would worry about.

However - you can get your wort to 110 in 15 minutes easy. Just get a huge bag of ice and pour it in the sink with cold water.

Pot boil pot into sink and stir and lift it up a few times to get cold water under the pot. Stiring really helps.

At 110 do the above and I can pitch yeast at 67 to 72.

I have a plastic bucket fermentor and I should be receiving a BB in the mail any day now... would that method only be acceptable with glass?

BB as in Betta Bottle? These are plastic and although I wouldn't be 100%, but I would imagine they're pretty resistant to temperature changes. Mine feels like you could kick it down a mountain and it'd be fine.

from personal experience, do NOT pour hot boiling wort into a better bottle if you want to keep it from melting, warping, and potentially losing its low o2 permeability properties. they are rated to 60C or 140F as the MAX.

Back