Pabst

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Guys (and gals)...any old school fans of the beers you grew up seeing your parents drink, check out www.pabst.com .
Supposedly a firm in Texas bought out Pabst (from Milwaukee :mad: ) and has brought back all kinds of famous labels, Pabst, Old Style, Falstaff, Olympia, numerous others, including Kingsbury!
I have fond, fond memories as a kid of standing next to my fathers seat at the Sheepshead table (only a true midwesterner would know about that, huh?) sipping his Old Styles, and Olympias, etc. I even remember buying Kingsbury out of a vending machine (thinking I was a rebel) at the local golf course. Good times.
Anyway, check out the link and see if you remember any of the classics.... :D

Ummm, Old Milwaukee Light. Right up there with the finest trappist ales Belgium has to offer. :D

Actually it does bring back some memories, but not any very good ones. My old man drank Coors. :D He'd be sitting there messing with his CB radio, and I used to sit on his lap and he'd sneak me sips when Mom wasn't looking. Good times.

Sam

Sam75 said:
Ummm, Old Milwaukee Light. Right up there with the finest trappist ales Belgium has to offer. :D

Actually it does bring back some memories, but not any very good ones. My old man drank Coors. :D He'd be sitting there messing with his CB radio, and I used to sit on his lap and he'd sneak me sips when Mom wasn't looking. Good times.

Sam

I didn't say any of them tasted good!!! I guess I was most surprised that this brewery took all of these old beers and thinks there is still a market for them! I wonder what thier numbers are as far as profits and which of these sells? I know PBR is making a small comeback among the younger crowds as one of those "old-school" kicks just to be different from the normal crowd. They can have it, but it brought back great memories for me. I hadn't heard of Olympia since I was a kid. Believe it or not I can still remember the exact taste of that first sip. I was hooked forever!

PBR still tastes as good as all the current macros except High Life. I have a freind that only drinks PBR (he doesn't drink much, we call him a wussy) but I only drink PBR, High Life, a little Blatz (to make me realize why I brew my own)and Shlitz (ah ha you didn't see that one coming did you) as the macro style goes. Since Shiltz isn't really a macro anymore.

The best thing Pabst had going back in Milwaukee is unlimited guzzling after doing their brewery tour. Miller would only give you two.

My dad used to drink some swill called Meister Brau. Think he could get it for like $3 a case in the 70's early 80's. I couldn't even handle that stuff as a teenager sneaking some. Don't remember who made that; don't think they wanted to put their company name on the label ;) Aha, Google says Miller made it.

I guess I was most surprised that this brewery took all of these old beers and thinks there is still a market for them!

I think this statement is probably the best one available:

I know PBR is making a small comeback among the younger crowds as one of those "old-school" kicks just to be different from the normal crowd.

Actually I used to go through a lot of PBR years ago when I was statoined in Florida. Cans, bought by the case of course. To me it had a better flavor than the other macros and was cheaper, too! I still say that cheap beer is best out of a can, straight outta the cooler. You don't want any of those "aromas" escaping! :)

Sam

Back