MLT with SS braid help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just started my first AG batch. Going well so far, mash temps are holding in my cooler well, but there was already my first hitch. I have a SS braid in my MLT, and I when I was doughing in I hit it with the spoon and broght it up to the surface on accident. I tried to sort of scoop our a place for it in the grain bed to make sure it would be back underneath the bed, but sure if it will work. Any ideas on what to do, besides not doing it again in the future?

Matt

Well, although it won't go as smoothly, it shouldn't be too bad of a problem if you batch sparge. If you fly sparge, it also won't be too much of a problem, but it will be a definite channel so sugar extraction will not be as great. Channels don't matter with batch sparging.

Batch sparging is pretty easy, and you don't need any different equipment. If you want to do that, you can find quick links from Google, or post again and I'll explain it.

To keep yourself from doing it again in the future, if the braid is long, tie it into a big loose knot so that it holds itself on the bottom. If it is short, you can try bending it down a little. Failing that, you can redesign the inside of your bulkhead so that the braid is held into a certain position.

Back