max amount of grain for 5 gallon cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PUD

Reaction score
bought a five gallon rubber maid a month or two ago. i will be converting it this weekend. what's that max amount of grain you could use with these coolers?

I had 14# this last weekend for one of my brews, but that is all that I would do. This got me a enough sugars for a 1.086 wort for 5.5 gallons with two batch sparges and a 90 minute boil.

I did 13 lbs yesterday and think that was pushing it, but I've been told 15 max. I think it really depends on what ratio of grains to water you intend to use. I did 14 qts to 13 lbs. for reference. I might have done the full 16 qts to 13 lbs (as planned), but I would have been spilling wort over the side while stirring.

According to John Palmer, using 1 quart of water per pound of grain, "the grain is fully saturated and fills a volume of 42 U.S. fluid ounces. More water per pound only adds its own volume."

Assuming 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain, 12.8 pounds of malt and 16 quarts of water would take up 5 gallons. This does not consider the amount of space taken up by a false bottom or manifold and leaves no room for a mash out infusion.

edit: just saw that some of you are getting more than that. What grain/water ratio are you using?

I got close yesterday using 14 qt water to 12.75 lb grain ratio. I use a false bottom. The grist/wort level was about 2" from the brim. So I would imagine I could probably squeeze close to 14 lb using a 1:1 ratio. Stirring at the half way point might be a PIA, though! I think I'll try pushing the envelope for my next big brew...

I just wanted to mention my method for when I do a beers that need a lot of grain. It's a bit time consuming, but it works very well for those who are space/volume limited.

For example, the last doppelbock I made had 18# of grain. I basically brewed it in two halves.

Divide the grain equally in half, and mash/brew the first. Pitch your yeast when the wort has cooled to the desired pitching temp. After no more than 24-36 hrs, brew the second half, aerate, then pour it into the currently fermenting first half.

As long as you complete the second half of the brew before fermentation has reached peak kraeusen, you shouldn't have any problems. Any oxygen you introduce will be immediately consumed by the yeast. Essentially, you can think of the first half of the brew as a "starter" for the second half. As I said, this works particularily well for high gravity brews such as doppelbocks and barleywines.

Madtown Brew said:
Divide the grain equally in half, and mash/brew the first. Pitch your yeast when the wort has cooled to the desired pitching temp. After no more than 24-36 hrs, brew the second half, aerate, then pour it into the currently fermenting first half.
Interesting, I may try this. I have a 5 gal barleywine recipe that calls for ~20 lbs of grain. I take it you divide the hops bill in half, right?

Madtown Brew said:
I just wanted to mention my method for when I do a beers that need a lot of grain. It's a bit time consuming, but it works very well for those who are space/volume limited.

For example, the last doppelbock I made had 18# of grain. I basically brewed it in two halves.

As long as you complete the second half of the brew before fermentation has reached peak kraeusen, you shouldn't have any problems. Any oxygen you introduce will be immediately consumed by the yeast. Essentially, you can think of the first half of the brew as a "starter" for the second half. As I said, this works particularily well for high gravity brews such as doppelbocks and barleywines.

That's an interesting method Madtown Brew. Thanks for sharing. I may have to experiment with this sometime.

I will add that anything over 13# of grain is definitly limiting water space. At 14# of grain and a water to grist ratio of .75 to 1 you are at a mash tun volume in the mid 4. something gallon range. This by the way is a thick mash by any standard.

Back