WTF!!! What now? (leak)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
My 1st batch of BM's Haus Session Ale was kegged on sunday and hooked up to the gas the same day. Today I opened up my kegerator to find a pint of beer in the bottom. It seem the leak is commoing from the liquid out post. Not around the post but from the actual hole. How the fick do I remedy this situation?
14145-full.JPG

14145-100_1077.JPG

It could just be that it's sticking a bit. Depressurize the keg, take the post off, and soak it in some hot water. Or, you could just buy an entirely new keg post.

Worst case scenario is that you'll need a new poppet. However, a good cleaning and a tiny dab of keg lube is usually all it takes to get one to seal.

In desperation, I unhooked the beer that i have on tap and put the liquid disconect from that one on to this one. It isn't leaking anymore. What happens to the other keg. The gas still on it, but I'm wondering what kind of effects this might have on it. I guess probably nothing. But I just want some reassurance from you guys. Thanks
-Drew

Normally when I drop a batch into a keg to force carb I depress the poppet for a split second and release so that it seats nicely. Sucks man but I have lost 3 beers that way. I know the feeling.

You might try depressurizing your keg removing the post and poppet then putting a little crisco or vegetable oil around the poppet if you don't have any keg lub.

If you need to order or buy keg lub you might as well buy a poppet or two also.

Go light on the crisco it could cause you beer to have head retention problems.

Removing the tap from the other keg should not cause a problem unless it's leaking too.

Drunkensatyr suggestion also works sometimes to get a leaky poppet to seal be sure to remove the CO2 tank & depressurize first unless you want a beer shower.

Back