Hard Cider still fermenting (over a week)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-oh

Reaction score
Recipe:

2 lbs DME
3 gallons of Apple Cider
~2 gallons of Apple Juice
~2 teaspoons of cinnamon to smell

1 packet of ale yeast (was in a red package, cant remember the brand)

It took about 48 hours to catch and start fermenting with a couple of bubbles a second (like any normal brew). Over 11 days later, it's still going at about 1.2-2 bubbles per minute. Temps range 68-72 F

Anyone else experience this with a cider?

Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be worried. My last cider fermented for nearly 3 weeks, and was ok. There were a couple off-flavours, it wasn't great, but not poisonous.

Mustangj said:
X2

My last one fermented for alomst 4 weeks at 68.

Yup, mine too.

Just bottled, carbed for 10 days, and...perfecto!

So be patient.

Hm. I've had a batch going since Aug. 20, racked once, and it's still going, albeit very slowly, and hasn't cleared. Should I be worried? (It's 1 gallon, unfiltered, pasteurized, Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast.)

My other two have only been going about a month, same juice with hefeweizen in one and Nottingham in the other. I'm a little less surprised these haven't cleared yet.

Any thoughts?

It is Still Fermenting? You started it in August It should have been bottled by mid September unless you added 20lbs of sugar and made alcohol to run your car on. I racked mine to secondary after 7 days then bottled after 14 more days. as far as clearing it out I add Irish Moss to the little pot when im heating up the sugar and AJ to add.

Here I thought I was going to make a "quick" 1 gallon batch of cider, I didn't know it would take so long, 2 weeks and still bubbling. I was considering racking it into two growlers, but I don't have bubblers for them, could I just let the pressure out once in a while? Or could I just leave the lids on tight and let it carbonate or is the risk of growler bombs too high? Great thread, thanks.

Aaaand just realized I was resurrecting a 6 year old thread, hope that's not a faux pas here.

I are you sure its fermentation and not pressure/ gas coming out of solution?

It did not ferment under pressure so I don't think that's possible, or is it? I just measured the SG when transferring it to growlers and it was right at 1.050, around 6% alcohol I think, seems about right for a finished cider, doesn't it? Tastes great, too. :)

CO2 is produced by the yeast in the liquid. It will have some dissolved in it even if its not under pressure... Atleast mine always has bubbles coming out of it when I put a siphon into it.

It did not ferment under pressure so I don't think that's possible, or is it? I just measured the SG when transferring it to growlers and it was right at 1.050, around 6% alcohol I think, seems about right for a finished cider, doesn't it? Tastes great, too. :)

Hopefully, you meant 1.005, but even so you may very well have bottle bombs if you don't pasteurize it or keep it ice cold in the growlers because ciders sometimes go as low as .990 when done.

My hydrometer said 1.050, temperature around 62F. So I guess I should put the lids on loose and let it keep festering, eh?

CO2 is produced by the yeast in the liquid. It will have some dissolved in it even if its not under pressure... Atleast mine always has bubbles coming out of it when I put a siphon into it.

I mean it was still actively bubbling, before I even touched it.

Back