Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some parts are hard, and other parts are easy, depending on your background. I haven't cracked a chemistry book in 41 years, so I had difficulty with parts of it. Other parts, were a walk in the park. There's a lot of common knowledge as a home brewer you already have. In the introduction to the class, they say to expect to spend 3.5 hours a week on the material. This is a pretty fair guess.

<------- Check it out.

I signed up too. Sounds like I might need to drop the other courses, and dedicate more time to this one.
User: -kyt-

I agree with this. I also think you either 'get' the organic chemistry or you don't. If you don't then you will remember the same amount if you spend 3 hours a week as you do if you study for 10 hours, if you do get it then spending a bit more time 'gets' you more understanding....

either way - if you don't get organic chem, still do the course.

I would agree with this. I took the course and passed it. It's been a loooong time since having General Chem in college but was able to muddle my way through the mental gymnastics of the Bio/Organic chem parts mostly due to exams being open book/internet. I still learned a lot and now have a better appreciation of why things happen the way they do in brewing beer :).

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

All,

We will be offering the Chemistry of Beer course twice this Fall as 8-week courses. The first course starts August 18 and the second one starts October 13.

Go to janux.ou.edu.

It is a chemistry course. But for free, why not come learn a little bit to help you understand the brewing process at the molecular level.

Hope to see you in class.

Is it the same course twice or will there be something different about them?

I am hopeful to add some content to the second offering this Fall. We are also working on offering it for credit similar to the for credit offering on Introduction to Computer Science we are offering on August 18.

Has anyone finished the introduction and unit 1? I just started...and away we go!

I'm still sifting through all the Janux and integrity stuff.
Well I was, the site is down or something at the moment
Server communication failure, please try again later.

I took the course the first time, and signed up for it the second time also because I saw a post that water chemistry would be included this time. Looking through the course outline, I don't see anything about water chemistry. Maybe it's included under "Mashing", but I doubt if it could be very detailed if that's the case.

Can anyone compare the learning required for this course with the learning required to pass the BJCP exam?

Edit: I should have also pointed out that I am interested in mastering just a few different types of beer, but am not necessarily interested in how 'true to style' they are. For instance I have made something fits somewhere between an american brown ale (10c) and a mild (11a) and any improvements i can think of don't take it closer to fitting into either style....but i absolutely love the beer and trying to make it fit into a style is not one of my goals. I can't see myself trying to make more than a handful of other styles for the next while. So I think I may be better off learning how to tweak my beers than getting to grips with 23 styles of beers of which I have an interest in only a few.

Can anyone compare the learning required for this course with the learning required to pass the BJCP exam?

Edit: I should have also pointed out that I am interested in mastering just a few different types of beer, but am not necessarily interested in how 'true to style' they are. For instance I have made something fits somewhere between an american brown ale (10c) and a mild (11a) and any improvements i can think of don't take it closer to fitting into either style....but i absolutely love the beer and trying to make it fit into a style is not one of my goals. I can't see myself trying to make more than a handful of other styles for the next while. So I think I may be better off learning how to tweak my beers than getting to grips with 23 styles of beers of which I have an interest in only a few.

This class is about the underlying chemistry of how brewing works moreso than different styles. It does touch on styles in one unit, but most of it is stuff that you can apply to whatever style you like to make.

I started yesterday. Forgot how much I don't know. Completed the lesson and took the self assesment. Waiting on the test tomorrow.

I took the course the first time, and signed up for it the second time also because I saw a post that water chemistry would be included this time. Looking through the course outline, I don't see anything about water chemistry. Maybe it's included under "Mashing", but I doubt if it could be very detailed if that's the case.

I have not added the Water Chemistry section. Working with publishers. Open Access water chemistry content related to beer is limited.

I added a group code for HomeBrewTalk in the Join a Group under announcements.

This class is about the underlying chemistry of how brewing works moreso than different styles. It does touch on styles in one unit, but most of it is stuff that you can apply to whatever style you like to make.

My bad for not making the question clear - I got the Chemistry of Beer Badge the first time the course was offered. I am now deciding what the next logical step in the learning process is.

I will brew more, that's step numero uno.

But considering what I have said above, what is the best use of my time - focusing on the few types of beer I want to perfect which will involve focusing on a few things like water chemistry and getting to know the grains a bit better.

Or will learning to be a BJCP judge help me more.... It won't hurt, obviously, but I am not convinced it is the best use of my time.

oh wow, I severely lack the mental aptitude for Unit 1. I may fail this course, but I'm still reading the words anyway. Might as well grab another draught pull.

I signed up for the course. It's been almost 25 years since I took a chemistry course. We'll see how it goes.

^^I'm with both of you guys! I managed to swing a 75% on the first quiz, but if it gets much more difficult (which I'm sure it will) I'm doomed! Just keep swimming just keep swimming!

I've never taken chemistry but really enjoy the information provided. Just like the syllabus says, you'll only learn if you choose too. It takes extensive time to study and read the material but I'm liking it so far! 92 for me on the first quiz. I missed the one about malting lol.

How's everybody doing? Just took the Unit 6 Boiling and Hopping test. Total score so far is 95/120 for 79%. Not bad for an old guy that has been out of school for 40 years.

I blew it...Only being able to take the tests on Friday's kills me! I have a full time job and my schedule doesn't always allow for that :( I missed the 3rd test and haven't had a chance to catch up yet. Super bummed I blew it. Gonna give er another try though!

I blew it...Only being able to take the tests on Friday's kills me! I have a full time job and my schedule doesn't always allow for that :( I missed the 3rd test and haven't had a chance to catch up yet. Super bummed I blew it. Gonna give er another try though!

You have until the last day if the class to turn in the tests. I do all mine late because I work. Still passing

I have 96.4/120 so far we are doing the same. It seems that each week I seem to miss one of the easier questions which irritates me. This week I missed the one about light struck and one of the chem questions.

I took my final exam the other day. I thought this course was very interesting and more complex than I could have ever imagined. I think it gives me a greater appreciation of the brewing process. What did you guys think of it?

I enjoyed the course. The chemistry was a bit over my head, so I am not sure how much I actually learned or will retain. I was most interested in the material related to mashing. I wish it had more information on water.

Is the ou class not free for the public anymore I tried to enroll in the new one and it took me to the ou web page for student login

It's still there under 'archived' courses. I just started it yesterday.

I highly recommend this class (if/when it is offered again). I have taken the class twice, and I still have issues remembering much of the technical material. However, there is a lot of reference material covered, & (more importantly), the class & study materials are archived, and I have access to it for as long as Janux offers the classes.

SO - I think the class told me more of what I don't know than what I do know. It's fun, but not essential for homebrewing. Just another aspect of this awesome hobby. And, the class id FREE if you don't want actual college credit.

SO - I think the class told me more of what I don't know than what I do know. It's fun, but not essential for homebrewing. Just another aspect of this awesome hobby.

I agree fully with this. It also taught me what I should try learn more about and what not to get bogged down with (saying that, you can still make very good beer following good recipes without understanding any of the science).

Another good resource is the IBD

http://www.ibdlearningzone.org.uk/

and there are some really good articles here

http://www.ibd.org.uk/learning/lear...ning-material/94/technical-training-material/

these will help with the Janux course and/or the course will help you understand them!

Back