Question about pitching yeast again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
I think the wyeast smack pack I used had dead yeast. 1) The smack pack didn't well 2) I saw no signs of activity or growth in the starter I made. 3) No airlock activity after I pitched it into my beer.

I know that the only real sure way to test activity is a gravity reading which I will do. Brew day was Friday so Ill check on it next week. I have never had to repitch yeast. Should I make a starter for it also? When should I repitch it?

Thanks

naristov said:
I think the wyeast smack pack I used had dead yeast. 1) The smack pack didn't well 2) I saw no signs of activity or growth in the starter I made. 3) No airlock activity after I pitched it into my beer.

I know that the only real sure way to test activity is a gravity reading which I will do. Brew day was Friday so Ill check on it next week. I have never had to repitch yeast. Should I make a starter for it also? When should I repitch it?

Thanks

As stated the only true way to tell is a gravity reading.

How did you make your starter? Seeing activity is not always there in a starter, do you use a stir plate? Was there a yeast cake on the bottom of the starter vessel?

Smack packs do not always swell and if you read wyeast's website they will tell you this is irrelevant.

Airlock activity means nothing other than gas is escaping, if your vessel has a leaky seal it may not bubble at all.

Did you properly aerate the wort? Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to become active.

I wouldn't wait more than a few days to test the gravity if you have no signs of fermentation.

Well I took an OG reading. 1.074

How did you make your starter? Seeing activity is not always there in a starter, do you use a stir plate? Was there a yeast cake on the bottom of the starter vessel?

Smack packs do not always swell and if you read wyeast's website they will tell you this is irrelevant.

Airlock activity means nothing other than gas is escaping, if your vessel has a leaky seal it may not bubble at all.

Did you properly aerate the wort? Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to become active.

I followed yeastcalc.com. 1.5L 160g (I think, I don't have my notes at hand) I did use a stir plate. There was minimal yeast cake. For aerateing the wort I dumped it between the brew pot and the fermentation bucket.

Should I wait to add more yeast? should I take the time to make a start? or should I Just pitch it ASAP.

The last beer I brewed was a Dunkelweizen. I used Wyeast #3333. I smacked the pack about 5 hours before pitch time. I always set my smack packs on top of the fridge in the house after I smack them. It's kinda warm up there. After it had sat for 5 hours there was no noticeable sign of swelling at all.

I pitched it anyways (without a starter), and it took a little over 4 days to really kick off. With barely any "visible" sign of fermentation, I checked it after 2 weeks and the FG was at my target. I checked again 2 days later and it was the same. I racked it into a keg and hit the gas. I just tried it last night, and it's possibly one of the best Wheat beers I've brewed to date.

Gary

Well I took an OG reading. 1.074

Should I wait to add more yeast? should I take the time to make a start? or should I Just pitch it ASAP.

I have had an infection get in an unfermented wort before... That sucks. Even still I would give it at least 3 days to show some sign of fermentation. Before I really worried about it. Just check the gravity in a couple days and if it has changed you are good, if not. Repitch as you never pitched.

What yeast and at what temp are you at and what was the temp when you pitched?

I'm pretty sur eit will take off for you just need to be patient;)

What yeast and at what temp are you at and what was the temp when you pitched?

I'm pretty sur eit will take off for you just need to be patient;)

Airlock activity. I'm going to check gravity reading in a couple of days. I never doubted the yeasties, I just have never had so little activity in a starter before. I wanted to be prepared in case I had to pitch again.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back