Very Active Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
I made a a starter from a slurry last night. Used a 2000ml flask. Pitched 100 ml yeast into 32 oz Water, 1 cup dme starter. No stir plate.

This morning the yeast had clearly been to the top over the side of the flask and on the table slightly. The sides were all sticky.

I cleaned the table and the side of the flask but what about all the dried uo yeast in the neck and along the sides? Can I pour the yeast out without infection? Is the dried out yeast a risk if anything?

The starter looks great, yeast is still on top, hope to cool tomorrow and then rinse and pitch what i need into a stout on sunday.

Should be okay. Just give the starter beer a sniff and a taste before pitching to make sure. That stuff on the inside is just like the krausen ring and should be just as sanitary as the rest of the starter.

Did you have foil over the top so the lip was entirely covered? If so, no worries. Bacteria don't fly, the fall or get blown around.

If you had a stopper of some sort where the lip (which you will pour the yeast out over) was exposed, I would wet a paper towel with some isopropyl alcohol and wipe it down well.

I've had my yeasties try to escape many times, just spritz everything with sanitizer and you'll be just fine.

Yes, the starter has had foil on it. Just got nervous when i saw the 3/4 in or so inside diameter of my flask reduced to 1/4 in because of dried yeast. Thought stuff might grow on it because it wasnt in the wort and pouring out would infect. Now i know it wont, thanks!

Also, this is my second starter and the second time this happened. The first time it was so bad. What can keep it down next time? Less starter wort? Maybe like palmer says 16 ounces? And half a cup of dme?

Larger container, smaller starter, Fermcap-S.

All of the above would help to keep the yeasties in their places. I use a 1 gallon jar for most of my starters.

I aim for a SG of ~ 1.035 in my starters. I don't know how much a cup of DME weighs - if it's 5 oz in a quart of water, you're up around 1.055. You just want the yeast to replicate, you're not trying to make a quart of beer.

Came home from work at it went over again. Here it is 24 hours later.

image-2944560873.jpg

Back