2X batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
wanted to do 2 5gallon batches(same recipe). was gonna add double the amount in the wort, the split them evenly. is this possible?(im new). if so, what kinda of tips are out there?

That won't work. You'll have different hop utilizations and it will not come out the same as a partial boil. If you got the equipment for a full 10 gallon boil, then your still going to have to change the ingredient amounts some. Hops have a better utilization with more wort.

I think what he's trying to do is a double batch partial boil. This can be done as long as you're trying to make a relatively small beer (low OG) and you have a big enough pot to boil at least 3-4 gallons. I mean, to make two 5 gallon batches of 1.050 OG beers you're looking at nearly 12 lbs of DME. If you try dissolving that into 2 gallons of boiling water, you're going to have a mess. You can get around the hop utilization issue (in such a high gravity boil) by adding one pound of extract and do your 45 minute bittering boil, then add the rest of the extract with just enough time to sanitize it. Split that into your two fermenters and top up.

Of course, who knows how much extract per gallon is too much. I personally wouldn't go with more than 3 lbs per gallon of boil water. If you want to take that recommendation, you could do a 10 gallon batch at 1.041 OG with 9lbs of DME in 3 gallons boil volume and about 7-8 gallons of top up water.

i follow what your sayin. ill probably do back to back or save the double for when im more prepared. i did a simple irish red style and it taste so good and goes so fast. thanks

hey- i recently did a double, a trappist style belgian with an OG of 1.048. It was an extract brew, done with five 3.3lb cans of extract, about 1.4lbs of grains, 4oz of bitterers, 2oz finishers. Pretty standard. I boiled 6.2 gal for the wort, proceeded through the brew as usual. I ended up with five gal of post- boil wort, so I added 2.5 gal of water to two seperate carboys, and then added half the wort to each. the final yield was 9 gal bottled, and both batches taste great. It is a great idea if you want to buddy up with someone and get a large yield. this is my first post, you guys are all great and homebrewing is the most noble of undertakings. Brew on, gentlemen!

didnt read read bobby m. must of been typin at the same time. heres what my plan was: add some grain in about 4 gallons water. remove at about 150. boil 3-4 oz of hops 3 times in 60 min boil, adding about 10lbs of lme in about 3 increments, starting about 15 min in boil. pour 1/4 in one fermenter 1/4 in other, then repeat. add water in both, pitch at 70. will it work?

make sure you add the yeast to the cooled wort BEFORE you separate it, so the consistancy is the same in both carboys. I did this by first putting the wort in my ale pail, to see exactly how much wort I had, as well as be able to pitch the yeast to the full wort. Otherwise sounds right on.

Yeah, agreed. Since you're able to boil 4 gallons, 10lbs of LME shouldn't be bad at all. Also agree that pitching into cooled wort before splitting would be nice, but if you're relying on your topup water to help in cooling, you could hydrate two separate packets of yeast and pitch on the split batches. No problem.

I forgot to mention that we used two different yeast types in the brew, so we wanted them to mix equally in both carboys. If that is not the case, you can absolutely pitch separate packets into the two carboys. I cool my brewpot with ice before I add it to carboy water, so temps were pitchable in the ale pail.

Back