Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
does anyone know if a free standing wine chiller be used as a fermentation chamber. Does the chillers temp range high enough or would i need to buy some sort of temp controller

Depending on what type you have it will be better suited for ale yeast that are happiest in the low 60's you could turn it off and let it sit at room temperature if you needed something higer than 65. The temp controller is the most exact way to maintain temp though. The important thing is to do what makes you most comfortable. Either one will be fine it just depends on how much you worry about the minutia. IMO, go with the controller, I'm sure by the end of the day you'll have 6 opinions one way and half a dozen the other

I use a Haier wine fridge for a ferm chamber. It's temp range is adjustable from 45F- 65F, perfect for fermenting lagers or ales.

Given the relative cost - and presuming that space is not an issue - you should be able to find a full size unit on CL for less than most wine fridges. You may also be able to get an undercounter/dorm style fridge that will fit a carboy or ale pail if space is an issue. DIY the temp controller

Latest posts

Back