Kegorator Help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freeballer

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success turning an old chest freezer, or even a new chest freezer into a Kegorator. It doesn't appear that there is a way to adjust the temp on mine. Just curious if anyone had any tricks.

People do it all the time. You're going to need an external temp controller - like a Johnson controller. All of the major HBS's carry them.

The analog ones run between $50-60, while the digital ones can be 100 bucks or more. I got the digital one from Ranco because it has a cool and heat feature. Right now I have my fermentation fridge set at 68, but with a heat lamp inside since it will cool due to ambient temps right now. My next brew will be a lager, so I will set it to the cold side of things and use the cool function. One of the best $100 I ever spent on brewing.

Only a commercial chest freezer will be adjustable and probably not high enough to be useful, so you have to add a controller. The controller monitors the temperature with a probe and turns the power on and off as needed. For a kegger, a single stage controller works fine.

Back