My Brew System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bixter1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to build my own automated brew system. Im going to go with a HERMS electric setup that can handle 10 gallons (Im going to use 15 gallon pots). Below is my process. I think I have everything covered but always welcome opinions/suggestions. I am also going to use a .NET MF (C#) based controller which looks to be unique from the other systems out there.

[i
Beer_Proc_1.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_2.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_3.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_4.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_5.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_6.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_7.jpg

[i
Beer_Proc_8.jpg

Bixter,

I'm currently doing a build very similiar to yours. I think you can simplify some of the process (do you really need 2 water in lines, do you really need a HEX coil in the BK if it is only for cooling)?

As for the .Net control, I'd love to collaborate or share ideas on this. I will be using C# to control my entire brew process as soon as I can finish the build.

Good luck, there are a lot of very helpful people here who will guide you.

The extra $35 valve was easy to justify for the second line. Im using RO and it's SLOW sometimes so I figured I would make it as much as a set and forget it as possible. I figured on a second coil since it was cheaper than more valves and it cut down on any issues with sterilization.

Im using a FEZ Cobra (and domino) for my controller. Im working out the classes and modules now. Have you started anything yet?

I haven't started the automation portion, I'm about 3-4 weeks away from having the electrical done. At that point, I will brew on the system in manual mode while building out the automation architecture. I am currently using an ARM9 with WM6, but I think I am going to move to a PC with 15" touchscreen. The PC will then eventually also control things like fermentation, brew scheduling, weight based corny volume measurement, etc. Sorry, I'm getting a bit :off:

I'm using I2C and one wire for the bulk of my devices. I do have some analog devices and digital devices that I will need to control with single pins though. I'll have a complete list up soon. I have the pins and I'm going to use them! :rockin:

Hardware is a FEZ Cobra (GHI Electronics).

How many digital and analog points are you looking at for control?, any analog outputs?. Have you looked at the ARM 9 boards with displays and interfaces built in for about the same or less cost.

I didn't spend a ton of time on reviewing boards. GHI has been great with updates (4.1 came out fast) and their tech support has been awesome. I also like their SDK. I have worked with the domino for a bit and really like what I have. Ill post my pin list soon.

Bixter,

Really looking forward to seeing how your list compares with what I end up doing. I am using an ARM 9 board per Kladues suggestions. I have the board, still waiting to finalize my design before I start purchasing my I2C components. Outside of the PLC portion, it sounds like our systems will be very similiar.

From the FAQ, it looks like the .Net MF 4.1 is primarily supported for ARM architecture? Perhaps I am misreading this FAQ? The primary reason I want to use a full fledged PC is to use the entire .Net stack, I don't want to be limited by the Micro or Compact framework. I believe any of hte I2C devices should interface with a PC no different than a uC.

Makes total sense. I wanted to play with uControllers. I sure do miss List<> and Dictionary<> types though :( BUT it's all C# in the end and we could share code. I making sure to keep things seperate enough that extending/removing features (no GUI) will be easy. Sounds like there is enough C# folks on here that we should be able to pull something together.

I am however suprised that my physical layout seems to be a good one. :rockin:

So far things are good. The Duda Diseal solenoids arent the best. They cant handle any back pressure and I need some check valves. Does anyone know of any good SS ones?

Second batch and it went great. My one march pump froze for some reason but came back tide after some live. I think then 4 hours if running, heat and super sticky wort got to it. The system itself has no other kinks and my controller is rocking

Bixter,

Things look rocking man. Nice job. What did you do for the check valves? Are you still planning on posting any of your code? I haven't had any time the past few weeks to work on the brewery, unfortunately. I have all the control panel parts laid out, just need to find a day or two to wire it up.

Sorry for the delay in posting. I have all the kinks worked out with the addition of 4 check valves and 2 autovents. I'll post my code on my site this weekend. The UI uses telerik so you will need to get a trial, buy it, or make ur own. Right now it's "semi-automatic" where each brewing step is a click on the UI. I'll be adding automation in as the physical kinks of the system are worked out. I plan on using the UI to import beersmith recipes for the base of the automation. BTW this is .Net MF C# so you will need a controller that works with it. I love FEZ (GHI).

http://www.BakkerBeerHouse.com

fyi, this system didnt work out the best with all of the solenoids. They go stuck open due to particles in the line (single piece of grain). I changed the valves out and started a new syetm
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/lazy-automated-brew-system-labs-204758/
It uses some solenoids where it makes sense and the rest are 3way bellimo valves. Ill be taking it for a test ride this weekend and will post there on how things went.

Good luck with the Belimo valves, the control hysteresis is driving me nuts, with about 10% swing in input to begin to see change in flow when reducing and increasing flows.

Im using them for full on and off. I do have 2 way belimo valves that are a little bit of a pain. It takes 90 seconds to full swing them so I do 10% increments (9 seconds) and it seems to work "ok" per brew. I do reset them to 0 or full when I can. I only change their flow for sparging which at 30% open works well for me. They do have actuators that have feedback which I might mess with one day.

I have 3 controlling flows, and 2 in on/off mode, all are 0-10VDC controlled. The boiler water valve is the one that is the greatest pain as the supply pressure is about 60 PSI and small changes in rotation make for large changes in water inlet flow. A pressure reducing valve is planned for the water supply to reduce pressure to 10 PSI to make the control easier.

Latest posts

Back