Mr. Beer kit came out sour. . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subtlephilo

Reaction score
I made my first brew from a Mr. Beer it (I have two other beers fermenting now), and it was the west coast pale ale. I added ginger to it to spice it up. It actually came out a little sour, but as I like sour beer, I enjoy the taste. Any idea why it would come out sour?

How long did you let it sit in the fermenter?? Sounds like it wasnt in there long enough.. did you use fresh ginger or powder?? I recently did this kit and swapped out some activator for 1 cup of clover honey.. Came out fairly decent if not a little mead-ish.. At any rate you should definitely read the Mr. Beer sticky at the top of the page.. will probably have more luck in the future posting there. Cheers!

If it came out sour you most likely got some Bretts (wild yeast) in there. Was your fermenter left open?

I used fresh ginger steeped in boiling water. I left it in there for 8 days, and it came out clear, so I bottled.
The fermenter isn't open, it just has two small ventilation holes under the lid.

It's probably just young. I'll wait another week and then give it a taste, although I'm going to miss the sour :(

Back