Freakin' Washed Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
A while back, I washed a Wy3068 cake and reused it several times.

No problem, until the last use. I wasn't making starters, just dumping in the yeast. Last batch was infected. I dumped the remaining washed yeast (the jars did have a sour smell).

Harvested ANOTHER cake of fresh Wy3068, and just tried it. Made a starter this time. Started never took off, and smelled like a pickle jar.

So, my new batch of Hefe is fermenting with Danstar Munich instead.

I think it might be the hot weather. More bacteria to deal with. I had a lot more luck back in the winter.

:(

that sucks.

Have you tasted the beer made from the previously used yeast cake? I wonder where the infection started?

that sucks.

Have you tasted the beer made from the previously used yeast cake? I wonder where the infection started?

That batch was perfect.

I am guessing the infection came from harvesting. Crud in the neck of the BB, though I tried to clean it first.

I need a conical, I guess.

I have also had mixed luck with reusing 3068. One or two sucessful repitch and then either yeasty death taste or contamination.

That batch was perfect.

I am guessing the infection came from harvesting. Crud in the neck of the BB, though I tried to clean it first.

I need a conical, I guess.

This is what I'm liking about using turkey bags in buckets. You just lift out the bag, dip in some starsan to sanitize the outside of the bag, snip the corner and you have a conical! OK, the yeast has been disturbed by this point, but it's still very handy and sanitary. :)

This is what I'm liking about using turkey bags in buckets. You just lift out the bag, dip in some starsan to sanitize the outside of the bag, snip the corner and you have a conical! OK, the yeast has been disturbed by this point, but it's still very handy and sanitary. :)

Can you explain? I'm interested now. I ferment in buckets and now more than ever spoon out yeast cake for washing. I nearly go surgical sanitized with gloves, goggles, full body barrier mask etc... to insure no infections.

What are you doing with turkey bags?

Well, I used to ferment in buckets (Still do) but as the buckets got older, they started causing infections. I then switched to a method quite a few people on HBT use, and that is to line the bucket with a Reynolds 24lb (I think) turkey bag. They cost about a buck each. When done with fermenting, you can either just lift out the bag with all the trub in the bottom and dump it, or you can save the yeast by cutting the bottom of the bag over a saucepan. This way, you are avoiding any contact with the gunky top end of the bag. I also dip the bag in Starsan before I do this just to be extra sure.

I just dump out 3/4 of the yeast in the bottom of my bucket and pitch my cooled wort in.

14 batches in now and no infection, no lagging or tired yeast.

My last brew was waaaay hoppier than I thought it should be, but can't blame the yeast.

I use these for plastic pails and even inside 6 gallon plastic carboys: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...24-x-30-8-10-Gallon-15-mil-Clear-Trash-Liners
I've captured, rinsed, and reused the yeast from a plastic bag once so far. It was easy. I don't remember what process I used to dump the yeast out, I may have just rolled back most of the top part of the plastic bag and poured it into a container.

I've used some of the 19x24" turkey bags on a few pails, they only seem to fit the taller type of plastic pails, not the wider 7.9 gallon ones. I'm glad I got the 8-10 gallon size since it only leaves about 2" hanging out of the 6 gal carboy neck. I can push a #10 stopper into the carboy neck and it stays in place just lower than the top, the plastic doesn't really interfere with that. The bag tries to "fall in" as you first start racking but if you lift the edges to re-seat the bottom of the bag in the middle, it won't fall in. Pulling too much plastic up the neck can constrain your krausen head space. I've been using fermcap-s and will start using a blowoff tube and haven't had much of a problem with head space.

I've heard due to the heat used in production it should be sanitary but I either spray them with star san or dunk them in a bucket of star san just for good measure. Keep in mind if the bag leaks, you will still want your pail/carboy to be sanitary around the bag. For a carboy I pull the bag through my other hand and it forms into a straight line that easily fits down the plastic carboy neck.

Back