25th Anniversary Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a picture of our 25th Anniversary Cider

25th_Anniversary_Cider.jpg

In the world of cider, this is a simple straightforward drink - apple juice, Edinburgh yeast, and pectic enzyme. Light, semi-dry, and sparkling. I'm taking a case of it to a potluck on Tuesday night. Cheers!

Was this for your actual 25th anniversary? Congrats if it was :)

How long did you age it for, looks delicious!

August 10th was our 25th anniversary - unbelieveable! Then, a week later, we moved our oldest off to college - combined, it was a week of milestones.

This sort of cider is very quick to drink, about 2 or 2.5 weeks in the carboy, another 1 to 2 weeks bottle conditioning/carbonating and its ready to drink.

That looks great. Hope my batch turns out with even half the carbonation yours does. Ok with priming surgar can I use corn Sugar? And how much Did you add for your priming Sugar? 5oz is what the recipe calls for. I am making JohnnyJumpUp one.

The photo was taken shortly after pouring - the head in sparkling cider dissipates quickly. It definitely tastes carbonated, sparkling. I let it carbonate to the level I want, by taste and sight, and then stop the process by pasteurizing.

I use 3/4 cup (around 4 ounces) of corn or priming sugar, or 2/3 cup of white or cane sugar, depending on what I have around, for a five gallon batch.

Looks great!

I know you have extensively outline your pasteurization method (great job BTW). What is your typical process? Store juice like Tree Top, or an unfiltered fresh juice? Yeast? Ferm time/temps etc Maybe you've said, but I guess I missed it.

Hi Ed. The cider pictured is a simple cider, what Ed Watson in his book calls a "draft-style" cider. He doesn't exactly look down his nose at it, but does make the accurate point that its not a complex or deeply layered cider.

For batch pictured, I used a store bought cider (it was on sale for $3 a gallon, woot!), no preservatives, but i'm sure it was filtered. After sanitizing the equipment, pour it into the carboy, add approximately 1 tsp of pectic enzyme, I decanted a yeast starter (some Edinburgh that I have harvested/washed/stored in the fridge) and added it to the carboy. Ferments at 68 degrees, give or take a degree. I watch the fermentation and at around 2 weeks, when it starts to die down, I take a reading and tasting. I aim for around 1.010, semi-dry, with enough sweetness to let significant apple flavor through.

Bottle (with priming sugar, so the cider doesn't get any drier) and then monitor the carbonation level until its where I want it and pasteurize it to stop the yeast. As you know, cold-crashing at that point would work also.

The end result is a light, refreshing, crisp sparkling cider. Not complex, but very pleasant.

Sounds good. Thats pretty much what I'm doing for my simple ciders, except that I keg and crash it down to 42F. After a little while at those temps, the yeast drops out. The keg never comes out of the kegerator until I'm finished, so I don't have to worry about fermentation kicking off again.

I'm going to work on some more complex stuff come Fall when I can get some higher quality juice from some local orchards.

I would like to see more ciders recipes here that contain berry's. Hint hint. lol I think the next cider i am going to try is Welches concentrate white grape and raspberry.

This posting is going to force me to make a basic draft cider, I have been going top high in the ABV level lately and have nothing ready to drink.
Thanks for post, picture and congratulations on the 25 years, keep the celebration going for at least another month just to show that you appreciate her putting up with you. :)

add approximately 1 tsp of pectic enzyme, I decanted a yeast starter (some Edinburgh that I have harvested/washed/stored in the fridge) and added it to the carboy.

Do you add the enzyme and yeast together? I have read articles where the enzyme was added a day prior to pitching the yeast, allowing time for clarification before fermentation. It appears that you had success with your additions but I just wanted to confirm your method.

Yes, I believe that it is best to add the pectic enzyme sometime before pitching the yeast, but I do not tend to do that - I usually end up putting the pectic enzyme in shortly before pitching the yeast, perhaps an hour. My ciders have ended up pretty clear.

Latest posts

Back